Wiring for a 2 gang 2 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2 gang 2-way switch in the hall, switch B is 1-way and controls the hall light, switch A is 2 way and controls the landing light along with the other 1 gang switch on the landing. All standard stuff and working fine.

I'd like to wire switch B to be 2-way, so I can also control the hall light with another switch by the door. I have followed the basic info (connecting COM, L1 and L2 from my 2 way switch B to the new switch) but I just cannot get it to work. Currently both hall light switches have to be off to turn off the light.

I include a photo of the 2 gang 2 way wiring. Switch B COM is bottom left, L1 and L2 and middle/bottom right (below switch A COM). Note there is a small red wire connecting the COMs. Could this be the issue - do I need to drop a separate power line? I have tried disconnecting the bridge wire but that way the light cannot be switched on (receiving no power). Any help greatly appreciated!

edit
[/img]

Sponsored Links
I can imagine your problem. Try this….

Existing wires: You have one wire in L1 (black?) and a link wire in COM. Is that correct??
If so:

Move the link wire to L2, the other wire stays in L1.

Now connect your 3 core and earth:
Brown to COM
Black to L1
Grey to L2
(so you'll have two wires each in L1 and L2.

At the other switch connect up
Brown to COM
Black to L1
Grey to L2

That might do it, but I'm only guessing! Or post pictures.

TTC, thanks for your reply. Does this image work for you?

photo.jpg

My link wire is indeed in COM and I have a black in L1, so I am going to try what you suggest now, thanks. Yes I have run a 3 core and earth to my new switch.

Sponsored Links
No joy. Switch A (landing) still works fine but I cannot turn on the hall light with any combination.

I now have 4 wires in COM for switch B - 2 red from the same cable and the link wire (as per existing wiring) and the brown from the new switch. the link wire links to L2. Does that sound like what you meant?

Reading back I realise what you meant was the link wire should connect COM on the other switch to L2. These old style switches are very confusing to wire - where the COM is on the opposite side to the L1 and L2. Anyway I have made that change now and seems to be working so far. Just going back now to test all combinations. Thanks so much for your help.

**EDIT: Works like a charm. I'll check again after dark to ensure no random weirdness is happening. THANK YOU!

The new two way switch works perfectly itself, but I now have the situation that if both hall switches are in the off position, it will turn off the lights in the living area. The 2 gang living/dining switch is just inside the hall - the wiring of this switch and the hall switch are somehow connected.

What would be the likely connection, and how would I go about fixing it? The living/dining rooms are now decorated so I need to find a solution as least as disruptive as possible. At this time of year chasing any new cables is not an option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back