wiring honeywell 2 port valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this should be posted in electricians forum so apologies in advance.

I am a qualified plumber.

I have a thermal store designed and installed by myself.

Off of the thermal store I have a radiator circuit, flow and return,which takes heated water from the store independent from any control of the boiler and other heat sources.

Demand for this circuit comes from a thermostat that simply switches on a pump on the flow side of the radiator circuit

I have an issue with gravity heat leak on this circuit, i.e. when there is no demand from the radiator circuit thermostat hot water will still circulate around the circuit due to gravity, effectively leaking heat from the thermal store and unnecessarily heating rads etc.

My solution is to put a 2 port valve between the thermal store and the pump that opens when the pump is switched on by the thermostat.

Effectively in series with the pump, simply connecting the live neutral and earth to switch the valve open.

However my honeywell 2 port valve has 5 wires and all the wiring diagrams ive seen instruct me for y plan or s plan etc, when I just simply need it to open when current detected and closed when not.

Is this possible?

many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sorry forgot to mention this is in my own house and I have qualified electrician friend who will do the work under my instruction.

S plan has most of what you need:

Wire the Brown to where your pump live is now (i.e the thermostat output), and the blue to neutral. That will open the valve when your stat calls for demand. Then, wire the grey to permanent live, and the orange to your pump live, and the pump's neutral to permanent neutral. Don't forget to connect the earth too.

Now, your zone valve will open when the stat calls for heat, and when it fully opens and the microswitch is closes, the pump will start.

Or save yourself £60 and just fit an anti gravity valve

Sponsored Links
As rob says a single check valve on the return will stop the unwanted heat leak.

Would a bog standard 22mm sprung single non return valve would be ok? They are not central heating specific are they?
Like this-

http://www.screwfix.com/p/single-check-valve-22mm/61237?_requestid=454128

I shouldnt be worried that they will reduce the flow too much or that the pump may have a problem overcoming the resistance of the spring?

Also the spring has enough resistance to hold the flow of the thermosyphoning/unwanted heat loss circulation, as the direction of this is the same as the direction that the water would be pumped, i.e. flow to return rather than the other way round.

Are the flow and return pipes on the rise from the cylinders?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back