Wiring LED light strips into lighting circuit.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Firstly, hello - It's nice to meet you all! Long time stalker, first time poster! :D

I have a question for you regarding a lighting project I'm about to undertake. I had booked the week off from work to finish my patio, but as it is currently snowing in Kidderminster, I think I'll knock it on the head for today!

I am about to build 2 plastered shelves in the 2 alcoves of my dining room, leaving a gap of 2-3 inches at the back for LED strip lights to glow against the wall.

All of the LED strip lighting products I've found appear to all be wired directly to a mains plug, but I want/need them to be wired directly into the lighting circuit, controlled by a double light switch on the wall. I've already chased a supply cable down from the bedroom to the locations they need to be in (not wired into circuit yet).

I'd never do anything recklessly with regards to electrics - That's why I wanted advice from you guys. To me, as there is less power coming down the light circuit, I'd assume that it would be ok to chop the plug off and wire the transformer directly into the circuit? Is this okay, or a definite no-no?!

Any advice/solutions would be most appreciated. The LED's in question were these:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00119419/

Many thanks,
Gingamonkey

Sponsored Links
You could wire a 13A socket onto the lighting circuit to plug the lights in (as long as the sockets are at positions where they are not going to be used for any other appliances)
Or if that will be a bit bulky you could cut the plugs off and wire them straight into switched fused connection units using the same (3A ?) fuse from the plug in the connection unit.

Thanks for the reply Ricicle. That's definitely an option - I guess I could position the socket inside the cupboard I'm building in the base of the alcove?

Actually, I've just spotted these:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SK153717.html

It looks like they need to use the power supply shown a bit further down the page. Is this to step down the voltage for the LEDs? If so, could these LEDS be wired directly to the lighting circuit?

Cheers![/url]

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply Ricicle. That's definitely an option - I guess I could position the socket inside the cupboard I'm building in the base of the alcove?

Actually, I've just spotted these:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SK153717.html

It looks like they need to use the power supply shown a bit further down the page. Is this to step down the voltage for the LEDs? If so, could these LEDS be wired directly to the lighting circuit?

Cheers!

Yep they would be fine, but you'll get them much cheaper off a well known internet auction site.

You need to use an LED driver as Chris linked to, but this is fine for wiring direct into the lighting circuit.

Actually, just wanted to check....
I've ordered the 5m of led stripping, but wanted a cheaper option for the transformers (I'm going to use 2, as I want to install 1 in each alcove to cut down on cabling).
Bearing in mind that each transformer will supply 2 shelves, roughly 2 meters of the LED strip lighting, will these do the job?
http://www.screwfix.com/p/halolite-20-60va-low-voltage-electronic-transformer-240v/48058
Many thanks
The minimum wattage for the transformer outlined above is 35w. It is unlikely that your led strip lighting will meet that criteria so the answer is no.
If these led strip lights are from the tlc site shown above then you will need to purchase the transformer/driver which is probably built into the plug they supply seperately.
I think the transformer converts from 230v to 12v but the driver converts to the constant current or constant voltage required by the led lights.

ive usually found them connected to plug in 12 volt output wallwart type transformers, think you will find them 20/50 lighting trans not suitable

Hi gingamonkey,

I realise this is a pretty old thread so this might be a bit of a long shot..... but I'm trying to do exactly as you were trying - two alcoves either side of the chimney breast, two shelves in each alcove, LED strip lighting recessed into the back of the shelves, and wired into the lighting circuit. Two gang switch next to the door then controls main light and the alcove lights.

How did you get on? What did you use? And how's it been for the last 2 years?!

Cheers!

Actually, just wanted to check....

I've ordered the 5m of led stripping, but wanted a cheaper option for the transformers (I'm going to use 2, as I want to install 1 in each alcove to cut down on cabling).

Bearing in mind that each transformer will supply 2 shelves, roughly 2 meters of the LED strip lighting, will these do the job?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/halolite-20-60va-low-voltage-electronic-transformer-240v/48058

Many thanks

NO. That device (it is not a transformer by the way, it is a switch mode power supply) gives out high frequency AC not DC.

You need a 12V DC power supply not a transformer which gives out AC.

EDIT, just noticed I've answered a thread 2 years old. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back