Wiring my house with CAT6

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to wire the whole house with CAT6. My router is downstairs next to my master socket.

Where would I lay CAT6? On top of skirting board seems nice, but what happens when there's door frames involved? I don't like the idea of going under the carpet strip.

I need CAT6 in all rooms, even upstairs. What's the best way to go about it? The main hub would be beside my router or in a cupboard very close to the router.

Sponsored Links
you could use mini or micro trunking to hide the wires around doors etc. there are some good ones which can match with wood etc. or use white cable not the grey or lairy colour

I have done my house in cat5 recently and went under floor upstairs and dropped down in wall cavities where possible. I ran 2 cables per point using click modules so I could put multi room audio, smart tv, phones in etc to save future disruption.

cat5 would keep your cost down in cable unless you really need 6 as it seems overkill for a domestic install imho.

I also ran cable for alarm and smoke detection and CCTV whilst I was under the floor something else to consider for future plans as the cable is fairly cheap but the most agro to install.

I also installed my hub in the loft to avoid having all the wiring coming downstairs, my airing cupboard had a great route as that's where all the pipes lead too.

rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back