Wiring on cooker cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to put a cable onto a new cooker, but I can't see where to put it (I know what colour wire goes were)...I expected it to be the same as in the wall ie an obvious channel to lie the wire in but all I see is the screw to hold it in but not were its holding it in to. Please help...we's starvin' :cry:

Sponsored Links
They say nothing about installation other than consult an electrician else warrenty may be invalid etc etc. I read them cover to cover.

Sponsored Links
Have photo :D , lost usb cable :(
Will post it soon as I find the cable again, but its box with 3 screws up either side, earth on bottom right, live and neutral on 1st and second on left. Don't suppose thats much help. Its a Beko DC3511 but don't suppose thats much help either.
NUked beans for tea again it is then :LOL:

Well, you have described where the wires go - at the other end they will need to go to your cooker control unit. The important thing to realise is that large currents flow in a cooker circuit, and the cable used, and the breaker that protects it will need to be sized accordingly. There really should have been instructions supplied - what do the shop say?

The terminals may be the type where the wire wraps around the threaded post, and is then trapped between washers by tightening the nut or bolt. Before using this type of conection it is important to make sure it is mechanically sound, and that there is good metal to metal contact (not just riding on a few high spots) There are various ways of forming the 'eye' on the cable, but the key is mechanical security, and not leaving enough tail that any amount of rotation or shaking loose could cause a short circuit.
For 7 strand cable, a 6-6 split with the 7th strand used to wrap the joint is the 'old way' the modern way is probably compression crimps, but note that these only work in fittings with enough clearance.
The skills required are similar to those used to splice wire rope, and are falling out of favour in preference to crimps.

mapj1...thanx for your help :D , that's what I managed to find out from the fire officer at work today too, but confusion came from there being no washers and I didn't feel happy about wrapping it round the screws myself as that seemed a sure fire way to fry myself :eek: . Anyway, smiled sweetly at an electrician and it's all done so learnt something new and have just had our first square meal since monday :LOL:

mapj1 said:
There really should have been instructions supplied - what do the shop say?
Ten'll get you one that they say "If in doubt consult a qualified electrician"...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back