WIRING OUTSIDE PIR SECURITY LIGHT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the task of installing a halogen PIR security light, the problem is power source and switching. At present there is a single gang one way switch, which powers both a hall light and an outside bulkhead light wired to the terminal block of the hall light, thus both come on simultaneously.
A)I am considering replacing the one gang switch with a two gang, so that one switch powers the security light. B)The other option, is to consider taking power from a mains cable, which is accessible outside, feeding a downstairs bathroom.

A)How would I be able to power the switch and subsequently the security light ?

B) Would it be possible to take a feed from the cable outside, obviously with weatherproof junction boxes etc. ?

I would be grateful for advices and comments, together with which wiring and colour goes where.

Sponsored Links
DiyK2 said:
which wiring and colour goes where.

This is very basic stuff.

You need to read a few electrical wiring books to familiarise yourself with practice.

Also look in reference: there will be wiring diagrams and book recommendations there.

Many thanks securespark. I just needed to be pointed in the right direction and finding my way around the site, as a first timer. Rather than wade through post after post, I thought maybe someone like your self could give a definitive answer to my quest.

Fora like these are great places to ask questions, but asking questions is not a great way to learn the basics. If you're starting from a position of knowing very little, what happens if you don't think to ask about something because you had absolutely no idea that you needed to know it?

For basics the Which? Book of Wiring and Lighting gets good reviews, as does the Collins Encyclopædia.

If you are looking for books on Amazon, be very careful not to buy any American ones. For some reason Amazon UK offer a great many of these, despite them being at best useless and at worst lethal.

And buy a multimeter....

Sponsored Links
Many thanks, ban-all-sheds. I have a good idea in tackling the problem. The problem, in short is accessing or linking into a junction box. I thought may be a power supply could be linked across in the switches terminal or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back