Wiring question - switch to chrome dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I know the basics of electricity but am not an electrician. I ordered a chrome dimmer switch from amazon ("Eurosonic 250W 1-Gang 1-Way Dimmer Switch Stainless Steel") to replace a standard one way switch (not dimmer). However the terminals in the dimmer switch that arrived are not what I expected so I want to make sure I wire it correctly (or don't wire it at all!). I have tried to include as much info and pics as I can.

The existing switch (thumbnail photo below) has two cables going into the L1 terminal at the bottom and one cable going in the COM terminal at the top. Then the earth is attached the metal casing.

The new dimmer however (full picture below), does not have a COM terminal - the space is there but there is no connector. Instead there is an L1 terminal and an L2 terminal. In addition, the wiring diagram printed on this casing is different to the wiring diagrams in the supplied instructions (also pictured - last photo). The plastic casing on the new dimmer comes off fairly easily to reveal the circuit board beneath so I'm wondering if the wrong back has been put on maybe - I could provide a photo of the circuitry too if needed

So I'd like to know 3 things: 1) should I use the new dimmer at all or not trust it? 2) If so into which terminals do the COM and L1 wires from the old switch go? 3)As it's metal plated I should detach the earth from the casing and attach it to the earth terminal on the new switch. Is that sufficient or do I need an additional bit of earth wire to go from the casing? I'm guessing the metal screws form a connection with the metal switch and back casing anyway?

Many thanks.

OLD switch.jpg
new dimmer wiring.jpg

dimmer instructions.jpg

Attachments

• new dimmer.jpg
    new dimmer.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 354
Sponsored Links
Run the cables to L1 and L2. Run a green/yellow cable from the back box to the earth terminal.

Run the cables to L1 and L2. Run a green/yellow cable from the back box to the earth terminal.

Thanks - can I just double check: run L1 (old) to L1 (new), and COM (Old) to L2 (new)?

If I don't have earth cable can I get away with what I suggested? If so I can wire it tonight, if not I go to the shop tomorrow!

The diagram on the back of the dimmer makes it clear. The dimmer is shown by the box with the type number 8082 in it.

The pair of red wires should go into L1 and the single red wire into L2

The earth terminal on the switch must be connected to the Earth wiring.

The advert describes it as being a Eurosonic product yet the product is made by Asialink and has a bogus CE mark.

The online Eurosonic catalogue does not appear to include a 250 watt metal fronted dimmer.

Sponsored Links
OK thanks for the wiring info - does this mean I should be wary if they're faking the CE mark? This dimmer is going in a nursery - I want to be sure it's OK.

If it has a false CE mark then yes, be wary.

You need to test that the earth cable in your switch box is actually an earth, and connect the switch plate to the earth. Do not rely on securing screws to provide the earth. It is a safety requirement.

This dimmer is going in a nursery

Many low cost dimmers ( and quite a few of the more expensive ones ) emit a very high frequency audiable whistle. The frequency is too high for most adults to be able to hear it but young children with normal hearing can hear it and be disturbed by it.

Thanks for all of your help. I've researched the CE mark thing and it is indeed not genuine - China seems to have decided to use their own CE mark meaning 'China Export', and it's remarkably similar to the european safety CE mark (for some reason..).

I can't believe I nearly installed that in my nursery! It wasn't a 'cheap' one and was a similar price to those in high street DIY stores, and their site on amazon stated it met all latest European safety standards! Needless to say I've left a review and reported them to amazon.

bernadgreen - is there any way of knowing whether it's emitting the high frequency noise? a smartphone app perhaps?

is there any way of knowing whether it's emitting the high frequency noise? a smartphone app perhaps?

Not on a smart phone as the top ( high frequency ) end of the phones audio frequency range is not going to be more than about 10 kilohertz.

You could use a bat detector which converts the bat's high frequency squeeks ( that are inaudible to human ears ) to lower frequencies that humans can hear.

It wasn't a 'cheap' one and was a similar price to those in high street DIY stores, and their site on amazon stated it met all latest European safety standards! Needless to say I've left a review and reported them to amazon.

That is not enough. You need to REJECT it and demand a refund and that they collect it or at least send you a replied paid envelope. Did you pay by card? If so you can setup a chargeback in motion. It is not about the money, it is the principle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back