Wiring up a 2-gang Dimmer Switch - Help Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our living room has 2 light fittings, connected to one switch point with 2 individual switches, one for each light fitting. I bought a 2 switch dimmer to replace the existing 2 switch box, but the wiring of the old Vs new seems so much different, and the instructions are so vague.

Firstly, the existing wiring is old style, and is currently set up like this:

2 gangs into the switch, both have an earth wire going into the earth terminal in the switch backplate. Then, from one gang there is a red wire that connects to a "common" terminal in each switch (the wire is kind of looped to go into both). Then, from one gang there is a red wire with another black sleeve over it going into L1 on one switch. Finally, from the other gang there is a red wire but with no black sleeve going into the L1 on the other switch. The switch itself has no earth terminal.

The new switch is metal and has its own earth terminal. On each switch it has 3 terminals - an L1, L2 and an arrow with a squiggly line through it. I assume the latter is equivalent to common but the instructions don't really say.

Does anyone know how to replicate the wiring from the old to the new?

Do I need to use the earth terminal in the new switch as well as, or instead of, the already set up earth terminal in the switch back plate?

Sponsored Links
The squiggly line will be the common.

Wire switch up the same way as the other switch, the looped wire between the commons is the live feed to the 2 gangs, the wire in each of the L1 terminals is the switched live to the light fittings.

Lastly you need to run an earth wire from the earth terminal in the back box to the earth terminal on the switch plate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back