Wiring up a new ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to install a new light fitting in the front room but have a few questions regarding the wiring.

The instructions that come with the fitting say that any existing ceiling rose is to be removed and that the wires should go directly into the block provided with the new fitting.

Now I've taken off the ceiling rose cover and have identified the switched live.
There are also three looped wires and 3 neutrals connected up to the ceiling rose along with three earths. See attached image
View media item 75256

The terminal block provided is only a 4 way block which leads me to my main question...is the block provided too small for me to safely fit all the wires back in after removing the ceiling rose?

According to the instructions any looped wired go into the additional 4th terminal provided.

That wounds mean one terminal for the switched live, one for all the neutrals, one for the earths and the additional fourth one for the looped live (red) wires.

I'm not sure this is correct and think I may need a larger block.

Can anyone advise?

Sponsored Links
It doesn't sound like u have any more wires than usual so should fit.

Just make sure u mark the black switched live.

Sponsored Links
yes the number of wires is fine. i just wasnt sure about wiring several wires into a single terminal.

it hanks for the replies + have had a read of the wiki page also and it makes sense.

Thanks again.
Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back