Wiring up an old Gas Lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Im planning to convert an old antique wooden floor lamp. I will just be running a length of flex with a plug up the outside of the lamp and will be connecting it to a rotary switch so the old screw valve fitting can be used to turn the lamp on and off. This will then connect to a normal bayonet fitting for the light bulb.

Im looking for the smallest gauge of T&E wire I can use to safely wire up the lamp so that everything will fit neatly to the lamp and the wiring will be as inconspicuous as possible. Am I right in thinking that if its fused with a 3 amp fuse in the plug then the flex and rotary switch I will be using only have to be rated to 3amp?

Obviously when its wired and earthed it will be tested with a multimeter for earthing and insulation.

Anything else that needs to be taken into consideration?

Any suggestions on good suppliers of where I can get the smallest 3 amp rated rotary switch and flex available?

Cheers

Bruce

Sponsored Links
Obviously when its wired and earthed it will be tested with a multimeter for earthing and insulation.
You really need a continuity tester to check the earthing and an IR tester for the insulation. A multimeter won't tell you if the earth can carry enough current, or if the insulation is OK at 230V.

I will just be running a length of flex with a plug up the outside of the lamp
How did the gas used to get to the burner?

Any suggestions on good suppliers of where I can get the smallest 3 amp rated rotary switch and flex available?
Flex is widely available.

Try RS Components for the switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back