wiring within insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok quick question as i have been reading up on some of the similar threads on here but nothing definitively answers my query

i have just finished the outer shell of a summerhouse and now i am looking at the inside, it will have lighting and standard raing mains with only things like a tv and games console and maybe the occasional fan heater during winter.

the walls are 4x2 frame with ply outer layer with traditional shiplap on top for the outside, the inside will have loft style insulation fitted within the walls and a vapour barrier on top with plasterboard as the final finish but i have read here and other places a few no nos with regard to having the wiring within the insulation. im doing some of the work ( work im permitted to do ) with a sparky doing the final connections and checking testing the whole setup so what i need to know is what ways can i do this? can i lay the wiring then fit the insulation on top ( so the wiring has one side against the ply skin using the usual 2.5mm2?
should i up the size to 4mm2 for the ring and 2.5mm2 for lights so it will manage the extra heat better and keep cooler thus allowing for the derating?
would it be better for me to lay the cables over the top of the vapour barrier so its between the vp and plasterboard?
would putting it inside plastic conduit help in any of the above methods?

im having my sparky do the stuff im not allowed to do but want to keep the costs down by doing the time consuming stuff, he will either check it all and sign it off before i put insulation over it or will do the same with it on top of the vp before plasterboard goes up but most definately do not want it exposed in conduit

cheers all for the help in advance

Sponsored Links
The electrician who is testing and signing this off should be designing it also.

You can tell him or her that you don't want the cables to be visible/in conduit. They will then be able to determine the method of installation to achieve that and size the cables accordingly.

Unless, of course, they are currently on holiday, and therefore you can't ask them....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back