Wobbly toilet suggestions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our toilet bowl is rather wobbly. Not being particualrly DIY-minded I wondered if anyone knew a)how the bowl should be secured when first fitted(I'm fairly sure ours is only screwed into the floorboards) and b)how to revolve this problem without having to do anything beyond my limited capabilities!

Sponsored Links
Screws are normally used - unless rust proof ones were orignally used then they'll be useless now.

Unless you can tighten them the loo will need removing and the floor inspected. If the boards are OK then you could refit the loo with larger Brass screws designed for the purpose.

If the floor is rotten as well as the screws then check for a leak.

Assuming none of the above and its just and uneven floor, I would do (and have done) the following. Loosen the screws and wobble the pan to determine which part of it needs something under it to stop it wobbling. Get yourself some varied tie wraps (the sort the military now use as handcuffs), the thickness varies with the length. Offer them end on into the gap to be filled to determine which thickness you need to stop the wobble, then insert end on as many as needed. Screw the pan down tight and check wobble has gone. Cut of the external tie wrap ends as close to the pan as possible (stanley knife) and seal round the bottom of the pan to cover them and fill the gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back