Wonky tiles? LOOK @ these!!

Sponsored Links
2k more then what you both agreed on,mmmm im suspecting he's pulling your chain.

Why on earth would you get a plumber to do the tiling? He can't be doing that well as a plumber either or he wouldn't have the time to do it. I never have the time to do anything other than plumbing and wouldn't do it anyway as I'm not trained to do so. I use a decent tiler who charges me £25 - £35 per square meter for labour alone depending on the type of tiles. If you said your bathroom was 3m x 3m and say 2.5m in height then even without excluding the door, window(s) and the bath it would have cost at most (3 x 2.5 x 4 x 35) £1050. Sounds like you have well and truly had your pants pulled down. I hope he kissed you first. Although without wanting to kick a man while he's down you really do only have yourself to blame. You wouldn't get your gardener to install your boiler would you? And you shouldn't pay someone on a day rate for a job that is so simple to price. You could have got a tiler on a lower day rate who would do a better job quicker. I do have sympathy for you just not a lot. I hope if you tell him what it should have cost he will reduce his price as that is an absolute scam. Call rogue traders mate.

Sponsored Links
I struggled to tile a window sill. And I charge £400+vat a day for labour. . I reckon I could have done a better job myself.

Or paid one of my tilers overtime and got the job finished quicker and cheaper as well as getting 20% markup.

Seriously, I did my bathroom this summer and paid about £400 for the tiler. There are a few bits left to finish, but it is a much better job.

Sorry OP, you have been raped.

If I was doing the tiling for £35 a square meter I'd probably only end up with £100 a day. I charge £350 for a days labour so it's just not worth my while doing tiling jobs myself if I take on a whole bathroom. Plus I'd rather be doing plumbing work. I can't stand tiling. That's what makes me think this guy can't be doing too well with his plumbing work if, especially at this time of year, he's having to stretch out a tiling job to keep him busy, and ripping some poor guy off in the process.

Can I get some advice off you soon Dan with regards to an Evohome project I have coming up? It'll be my first.

Top man. It's not true what they say about you. You're actually alright. Only joking mate, you're a legend.

Thanks for your comments. I do see where you are coming from suggesting it's foolish to get a plumber to do the tiling, however he advertised himself as a 'bathroom fitter and designer' with over 100 positive comments on check-a-trade and a 9.8/10 feedback rating.

Perhaps it's worth showing him this thread tomorrow when he returns :oops:

That tiling is not good enough, end of
But it's time and money escalating that caused you to ask for advice
This might help or maybe not
The guy that taught me about tiling was time served, old school
He said in an average size bathroom one day per wall
The time you make on the three straightforward walls is added the window wall where you need more than a day because of all the cutting hitch eats into your time
So there's a way of gauging the job that might help you consider whether he's been fair
Now you need to decide what to do
Pay up and suffer ,as you will pay someone else to rip that rubbish off the wall and do it again
Stand up row ending in get your gear and leave (the photos will be on checkatrade ,with feedback)
Courts , if they will help( more costs)
Good luck with it. If you pay him you won't see or hear from again

I employed a chap who worked on his own to do my 3m X 3m bathroom .
Work consisted of removing all old tiles,toilet,basin and bath,then tiling floor to ceiling and then fitting new suite. He estimated 4 days to do it all but it took him 5 for which he charged me £500. His work was absolutely faultless
so reading the OP's post and seeing the quality of work on his bathroom I consider myself very fortunate.

Perhaps it's worth showing him this thread tomorrow when he returns

If you do. this is addressed to him.

"Hey pal, you've got a fookin cheek asking people for money to do that to their homes. you should be paying the poor bugger whose bathroom you're wrecking. Now pick up your gear and feck off."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back