Wood Burner Inset into existing Fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There will be a 30mm gap at the back between the existing firebricks and the stove, I am worried that any falling soot may eventually ignite. I am advised I do not need a liner as the chimney has been tested and no leaks. It has been suggested that I pack this gap with loft insulation, is this O.K.? Also on top of the stove (inside the chimey, around the flue opening.

Sponsored Links
What sort of stove are you talking about? There are stoves that are designed to be built into a fireplace. Stoves not designed to be built-in are not designed to be built-in. You should have the ventilation and clearances stated by the manufacturer.

The stove is an Insert Stove, designed to fit into a standard 16 inch width fireplace. It is just that my firepace is a bit deeper than the stove, anyhow I have decided not to pack the space with loft insulation, as suggested by the supplier, but rather fill the gap with firebrick. Thanks

You wold be better to listen to the manufacturer, and if they don't give the advice in the installation instructions, ring them up and ask. I am assuming the supplier is not the manufacturer.

Sponsored Links
Oilman, yep did just that, and they gave me the right advice, which is to fill the gap with a mixture of Vermiculite 5 to 1 with Portland Cement. Should jave guessed that was the right thing to do, once the supplier was not too sure. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back