Wood burning stove installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Before I waste the time of a Heatas Engineer, is it possible to install a Wood burner stove and flue liner into a existing fire place with a converted wood and heat resistant plasterboard chimney structure to first floor then original brick built chimney from bedroom on wards???

Many thanks

Challenger605

Sponsored Links
I don't think you would be wasting his time, in fact it would be advisible imho.

Document J of the building regs would be a good place to start.

Heat reistant plasterboard isn't a non combustible material.

Ridgid twin wall flue pipe might be used in this case, not all hetas guys have this compitancy so its worth checking.

Andy.

This sounds like one of those homes where a numskull previous house basher removed the chimney breast and now the next owner wants to reinstate it.

Hi,

Many thanks for the responses.

The previous owners carried out a Job taking the chimney breast away and almost taking the house down with it!

The bedroom floor had dropped away. This was a missed by the survey company who carried out full building survey.

I will hopefully get heatas to carry out a survey this week.

Regards

Lee.

Sponsored Links
The previous owners carried out a Job taking the chimney breast away and almost taking the house down with it!

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

You could opt for a modern style without the chimney breast.

Years ago, i was asked to view a chimney breast job.

On entering the end terrace house front door i was confronted with the owners extensive family sitting with very unhappy faces, on carpets that covered the whole open plan ground floor.

Looking up i could see the roof rafters, there was nothing in-between - both sets of joists had been removed.
The bathroom was in a lean-to at the rear.

I politely said that the house was a deathtrap & that they should leave immediately - unhappy family heads were vigorously nodded in agreement.

Nothing daunted, the owner insisted that work must proceed. I insisted that i must leave.

Some months later the whole lot collapsed - witnesses noted that the owner was first to exit the family home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back