wood flooring over chipboard sub floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a chipboard sub floor in my living room (30m2) with a laminate on top but I'd like a new floor that runs under the skirting. I've got information overload at the moment so could someone please tell me if I'm thinking clearly.

15mm engineered wood (£31 sq m) seems to be recommended over 8.5mm (£20 sq m) but this would put the level of living room floor higher than the kitchen (open plan). Taking out the sub floor could be an option but I think overall too costly. Also, once glued down it'll be impossible to get up and I may need access to electrics at a later date.

Tarkett Viva 8.5mm is becoming the likely option because:
it can sit on top of the chipboard
A click fit would make it easier to remover down the line

I also like the look of one of B&Q's Bevelloc range (£13 sq m) but am deterred by the snobbery towards them.

Questions
Am I being shortsighted by not going for the 15mm option? I don't plan to live here forever so the increase in value on the house would matter, however it's a terrace house in an okay area but will never be surrounded by designer homes.

Is there any advantage in 8.5mm engineered wood over laminate? -by all accounts you can't sand the surface anyway so would the plastic coating on the laminate be a better option than inevitable scratches on the wood. I've currently got an Ikea Tundra laminate floor which has served me well for 12 years so haven't had a bad experience, maybe because it was glued together so sealed better.

I know it's a personal choice in the end but value anyone else's tuppence worth. Thanks

Sponsored Links
15mm would be the better option, install it floating and use a 'ramp' as threshold to kitchen. The 15mm has a thicker layer of real wood.
(On modern chipboard you cannot glue anything down due to the water repellent layer on chipboard).

Real wood always adds more value to a home than any (even high range) laminate or thin veneer floors do.

Thanks. I already have a tiled ramp at the level of the laminate which would make your suggestion very difficult, unless I could get the tiles up without damaging them.

Sponsored Links
If you want to get really technical, you could remove the chip floor, and relay it in between the joists, supported on 2x2 battens fixed to the side and just below the tops of the joist. This will buy you back another 18 - 22mm , or whatever the chipboard is. While the floor's up, reroute the cabling. Plumbing could be trickier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back