Wood or composite door for arched porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!
We want to fit an external door to the front porch of our 1930s semi in order to have somewhere to hang coats ect. We plan to remove the existing front door and porch windows and the wall separating the porch from the hall as we feel it would be too fussy to have two doors. This porch area would then become part of the hall with a built in cupboard for coats. We're really trying to keep road noise from outside to a minimum. Would a wooden frame and door keep the noise out better than uPVC frame and composite door?

Sponsored Links
I would go for Composite.
Depends on how much you want to spend and if you want to have to paint it every few years.

You could go hardwood and finish with a product from Sikkens. I fitted a hardwood door to my property almost 5 years ago, finished it with Sikkens and haven't had to do anything to it at all.

Composite is ok, the PVC frames can move a fair bit in the heat and direct sun light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back