Wood or uPVC Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need to have new windows fitted as part of our 10 year Zurich Insurance so can anyone offer assistance on costs; what is cheaper soft wood (these are fitted now) or uPVC. Also the wood windows would need painting so there's an added cost here as well as the length of time needed to install and paint these particularly with winter approaching.

Kind regards,

Bill

Sponsored Links
Have a good trawl through the windows forum, there are several threads already. Most of which conclude that timber is cheaper in the long term and more aesthetically pleasing.

Thanks Freddy,

I was hoping you would say that uPVC was cheaper. The major problem we see with installing timber windows is the length of time it takes to paint them following their fitting. We aren't looking forward to having the windows opened until well after dark.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks Freddy,

I was hoping you would say that uPVC was cheaper. The major problem we see with installing timber windows is the length of time it takes to paint them following their fitting. We aren't looking forward to having the windows opened until well after dark.

Regards,

Bill
Well in the short term upvc probably is cheaper, depends if you intend to stay where you are, whether you like timber etc not just the initial £ bottom line.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Freddy,

Regards,

Bill

yes at this time of year especially getting them to dry in a day is hard.
you can have them shop painted. they will have to be installed glazed though and big fixed lights will be heavy. openers can just be hung after carefully fitting the frame (it mustn't be distorted during fitting)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back