Wood pellet boiler and thermal store - Drain down, valve change and installing isolation valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking for a bit of help/confirmation of my thinking (as a novice). I've got a wood pellet boiler and thermal store in the garage, that feeds the central heating and hot water. Hot water storage tank and header tank in loft. A three-way mixing valve needs to be replaced so I need to drain down the whole system and previous advice has also suggested fixing isolating valves to make it easier in the future. I think I am fine about how to cut in and fix in the valves but have a couple of questions things to check. I've mapped out the system in the garage (pic below).

upload_2015-10-10_17-37-57.png

Flow - would I be right in thinking that A and B will both be expansion pipes, C as hot water out to house and D as cold in to system from header?

Location of isolating valves - any thoughts on locations?

Type of isolating valves to use - these are all 28mm pipes, copper in majority of the system shown but plastic to right of pump on C and on D. I was looking at full-bore 28mm compression ball valves for the copper areas (is that right and any ideas on where/what is best to get?), but can anyone recommend a product for the plastic sections if needed.

Drain-down - there's a drain valve on the bottom of the thermal store. I'm fine with how to do this but just wanted to check that all I need to do is tie off the ballcock at the header tank?

There's a bit more background on //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/r...ood-pellet-boiler-system.442989/#post-3473620

Anyway, hope this is clear, any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back