Wood Suspended ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Was wondering about some timber sizes for a suspended ceiling.

I am squaring off part of a vaulted ceiling.

There will be no loads from above, just the plaster board below.

i was hoping to hang the ceiling off a couple of purlins, clear span of 3m, and then hang a binder or struts from the ridge to stop any sag or spring.

I was thinking 3x2" @ 600 c, but looking at the trada tables this could be a bit light, but they include a dead load.

Obviously hanging this stuff off the roof, so i dont want to overload it.

I could run the stuff the other way and attach mini joist hangers, but this would be a fair bit more work.

any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

cheers
A

Sponsored Links
Use your 3" x 2", but add some stiffening struts to the existing ceiling.

We lay a ceiling binder across the tops (centre span) of the new joists, fix the binder to the new joists then fix a couple of struts to the existing ceiling.

In this instance the ceiling binder is only really bridging the joists uniting them so it only need be another piece of 3" x 2". The strength will come from linking it to the ceiling above.

Go with either 450mm or 400 centres. 600mm is carp.

Sponsored Links
as already said,also get hold/hire a laser level,that way you can plot the line and check for any sag,might pay to go for a little bit concave so when it settles its bang on :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back