Woodburner advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry is this is a silly question but do I need a connector to join the flue to the woodburner or can I just connect one to the other? Reason for asking is that we have just purchased a stove and were told by the seller we would need a connector or the flue wouldn't fit. When we got the stove home, however, the flue pipe (which we already had) fitted perfectly; if anything it seems to be a better fit without the connector. In case this is relevant:
The flue pipe is 100mm diameter
The connector is a 'female -female' vitreous enamel one 102 mm in diamer
The stove is a pot bellied cast iron one with a top outlet.

Sponsored Links
I can only offer what I did. Standing here looking at my small morso woodburner, on top there is a cast metal ring collar (50mm high x 140mm dia) that sits on top of the stove with two small lugs with wing nuts that hold it in place to the stove. The 100mm vertical flue (male) then fits into the same collar (female).

The first time I installed it, the metal ring collar cracked, because I thought I needed lots of fire cement to seal the gap between collar and flue and collar and stove. Having now replaced the collar, I learnt that all you need is correct diameter fire rope, pushed down into the circumference gap between collar/flue and collar/stove and nothing else, with the wing nuts only hand tight (tightened from inside the stove).

This allows for any differing expansions between the two different materials. The fire cement was far to rigid, as the temperatures in this area get pretty hot!
So far no problems with cracking the collar and no spill.

If it fits it fits, you don't need anything else.

As for not fire cementing the flue :eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
If you are not too busy, it might be an idea to test the working of the flue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back