Woodburner Disappointment - Poor Output

I`ve had a wood burner for 2 very cold winters and its fantastic but it does take alittle practise to get right, ventilation is very important I had to open up a vent in my living room or open a window so the burner functioned correctly. Have you had the chimney swept?

Sponsored Links
You might need to check with the manufacturer how they rate their fires; I believe there are two methods.

1) Fill the thing way up, light, re-load when appropriate and then measure 15 minutes later.

2) Simply measure at what is a reasonable maintainable temperature

Method 1) gives about double rating of method 2) which is called "Nominal Rating ". Can't be certain, but 1) might be called (logically) "Max Rating ".

What make/model out of interest ?

really could do with some advice. We speak are speaking to several professionals at the moment, who all give us different advice. Who do you believe?
We have two wood burners and noticed recently a build up of smoke, and have ahd tar leaking down the chimney when it rains. We had our chimney swept last summer, and have never had problems with it until then. First thing that happened was that we got lots of water down the chimney, so we had a cowl fitted. In view of the current issues, we decided to get somebody in to service our wood burners and sweep our chimneys. The guy who would service it came along and said that we need two new wood burners, new flues, and vermiculite lined chimney liners for both. Total cost £4500. Bit of a shock as we only thought they needed servicing. This guy said we are lucky to be alive. Then our builder told us, that this is rubbish, and that we do need some work, but that as the chimneys are terracotta lined, then are fine. What we do need is a cowl on the other chimney, a new flue (as it is no long sealed) and a barrier (can't remember the technical term) made of metal sealing off the opening to the chimney and the flue. Who do we believe ?

thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
The last item might be a clue.

But its better to start a new thread.

You could ask a Mod to transfer your posting to a new thread as this one is two years old and about different things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back