woodburner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi dont know if this is the right place to post this but here goes, i need to replace a damaged enamel flue pipe on top of a stove i am going to use fire cement and glass fibre rope but there is not enough clearnce around collar to fit/stuff it down /around sides of pipe, so can i sit it in bottom of collar and seal with cement? then smoke test,thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I only use the glass rope when the gaps are too large, and the fireclay cement drops through.
Cement on its own will do fine here, and it moulds very well when dampened.
John :)

I only use the glass rope when the gaps are too large, and the fireclay cement drops through.
Cement on its own will do fine here, and it moulds very well when dampened.
thanks burnerman, it also has a rear outlet which has never been used should i reseal this as ive got it out? and where it goes through the wall what should i seal it with it was just rendered and skimmed.

You can normally leave the rear outlet alone so long as it hasn't been messed about with - they usually have their own gasket seal.
As for the outlet through the wall, fireclay cement is fine here too (nicely smoothed with a finger) but gun applied intumescent sealants are available (usually white). Silicones wouldn't be used here.

Sponsored Links
You can normally leave the rear outlet alone so long as it hasn't been messed about with - they usually have their own gasket seal.
As for the outlet through the wall, fireclay cement is fine here too (nicely smoothed with a finger) but gun applied intumescent sealants are available (usually white). Silicones wouldn't be used here.
thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back