Woodchip AARRGGHH!!!:@:@

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bedroom (in fact EVERY room in our house) is woodchip. However, I hate the stuff and after living with it for 9yrs I think its time to move on.

We took the woodchip out of the kitchen (yes it was in there too) when we moved in as we refitted it. Therefore the room was replastered anyway. After redecorating several times Ive had enough so Ive started peeling off the woodchip in my bedroom, only to find about 4 or 5 more wallpaper layers underneath.

Is there any product you can just put over the lot to smooth the walls and then paint on? and if not, what can i put on the uneven walls after ive stripped down the room. The woodchip is making a reasonably nice house look old and I just want to get rid of it.

The room is approx 4x4m if thats any help :)

Cheers guys

Sponsored Links
There is a product called 'smooth over', I have never used it, but i think the DIy sheds are knocking the prices down as its not selling very well, and even with it being cheaper you will still need a few tubs, and the feedback I have had from people.... Its pants

I think your best bet is to get the rotten woodchip off, and even if there is loads of layers underneath, its still better to strip the whole lot off and start again.
Once you have cut through the wood chip with the steamer, and the room fills up with steam, and your choking your guts out lol,( the upside is it does wonders for your face, makes your skin clear and fresh) ;) then the other paper will comes off easier.

Once the paper is off, then you can see how bad or good the walls are, then you might have to have them skimmed or lined with 1200- 1400 Lining paper.

Just get stuck in, and get that awful woodchip off, you'll thank me for it later. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back