Woodchip stripping...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help chaps, l've got my hallway/landing to strip and it's got woodchip on the walls that's been there a long time(before l moved in).
Anyway it's been painted l don't know how many times over the years and l want the stuff off the walls, can someone tell me the best method to use to get the horrible stuff off the walls...

Sponsored Links
Ray.

Painted woodchip is perhaps one of the worst papers to strip, what you need to do here is breakthrough the paint film before you attempt to remove it. In doing so you will allow moisture to reactivate the paste thus softening the paper.

Firstly score the paper with around 80 to 60 grit, a sander for this would be ideal. Then useing a steam stripper you can get started, if you have done a good job regarding the sanding the woodchip will be far easier to remove.

Dec.

As TheDec says, woodchip is a nightmare to remove, it helps if you use a perforator and then steamstrip it.

Sponsored Links
Same here but with clear water. What's better about soapy water?

A case of clean as you go??

You want one of these and some spare blades. Get off what you can in big sheets then keep rollering warm soapy water on the wall until the rest falls off.

Any other method is a waste of time.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/16530...corators-Knives/Heavy-Duty-Scraper[/QUOTE]Got hold of one of those Heavy duty scrappers and the woodchip paper is not coming off in strips but in small bits, and the scrapper digs into the walls sometimes taking chunks out of it :cry: ....l give up.
How much are these perforators to buy.. do wickes/ b&q sell them..

Well just use it to take the wood chips off. The water can then get in behind the paint. I've never had any success with those perforators.

Ray.

As I said the best way of removing heavily painted woodchip is to first break through those coatings to allow moisture to reactivate the paste.

The advice given here by joe-90 was nothing short of absurd, something that you have now found out. The use of a perforator combined with sanding will assist you in removing the woodchip, yet it will still remain a difficult task.

Dec.

Been using it for decades mate. You need a decent skim coat underneath then it comes off in sheets. If his skim has eroded to the point he can't use a scraper then he needs the walls replastering so it doesn't matter what damage he does getting it off. If he uses a steamer on a bad wall it'll fall to bits. Then again you can only decorate can't you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back