Wooden conservatory base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been offered some parts from a 4 year old conservatory. Doors, windows and the roof. It's not complete so I was hoping to use what I can to make up the rest.

I have no brick laying skills but am good at carpentry so I have numerous questions about what has to be done that I can't change and what I can do as an alternative.

If I start from the ground up.. there are alternatives I know of for the base. The main ones being a concrete base and a steel framed base. Is there anything that says I can't make a wooden framed base?

There is currently a poorly laid slab patio where I want to put the conservatory and after looking under one or two slabs it appears that very little was done to remove the array of out-house buildings that were there before. I don't mind digging down for footings in the necessary places to support a frame but I think digging out for a concrete base and dwarf wall footing is going to be too prohibitive.

I suppose my first questions would be can I make a wooden frame and dwarf wall or are there regs saying it must be brick or steel?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
A wooden base will rot ?

I have a wickes wooden conservatory that must be 30 years old. It is on a brick built and concrete Infilled base. I guess it depends if you are going more for a greenhouse?

Thanks for the reply...

You've echoed my own first thoughts so I was wondering if I put membranes down and used heavily treated timber such as decking timbers would it keep it dry enough not to rot..

How long does the average decking construction last before it needs replacing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back