Wooden Door - Join Filler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an 1930s door I am restoring. I am preparing to strip it and re-paint in a decent gloss.

I have noticed that some of the joins where the differing sections are fitted together are not as flush as they could be and there are small gaps. I assume this is due to the age of the door.

What is the best filler fot these types of gaps. Approx 0.5-1mm in width.

Sponsored Links
Curiously enough, and elastic car body filler such as Isopon is particularly good for this......doesn't shrink, dries in 10 mins and sands beautifully.
Obviously not ideal for staining or varnish but great for paint. Any motor factors will stock it.
John :)

Thank you for the recommendation. I have heard of this as a solution but I have always been skeptical.

Why is this better than products made for the actual job such as external wood filler?

Which product is usually best at flexing with the wood? A lot of these products seem to set very hard and are inflexible so just crack after a short time?

I managed to find a solution to the issue anyway....it involved a hammer!

I just tapped the section and it wedged it back into place....seems to have worked....
rage.

View media item 82634 View media item 82635
This was the before, it now looks flush. The door has been in storage and the moisture may have made it pop out. Hopefully it has not warped it in any way...

It's not better just an alternative, two part wood filler is very similar in content but allows colour matching with timber.

Sponsored Links
It's not better just an alternative, two part wood filler is very similar in content but allows colour matching with timber.

I find that two-part wood filler is also finer, and sands to a smooth finish more easily than car body filler.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back