Wooden Fascias getting old, paint or replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is 15 years old. It has wooden fascias round the top of the house.

It is fast approaching the stage where I should be thinking about either replacing it or painting it.

A contractor who fixed a gutter a few days ago said there was no need to replace the fascias just yet. He said his company could paint it for £600 (1 and half days work). He would replace any 'smallish' parts of wood that looked soft/worn. He said the paint has a protector in it making the fascias last for much longer.

Is this true?

How long would I get out of it if got it painted?

I live in Glasgow area.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
15 years is nothing!

assuming there is no damage in need of repair, paint them

Do it now before the cold wet weather comes.

Sponsored Links
thanks for that info.

How many coats should I expect the tradesman to put on?

If the timber is ok( behind the gutters being the place where most rot first)then go for the painting.........being of the 'ole school' I much prefer the look of original timber fascias.

Agree with you on that taz, theres nothing worse than seeing old traditional buildings with roofline detailing in white plastic! whats it going to look like in 20yrs.

Spoke to the tradesman again. He said the paint should last 3-5 years depending on weather.

He offered two options.

1) One coat of dulux

2) An undercoat, then an overcoat.

Advice?

Its not the case of no one knowing the answer!

You are asking painting questions in the roofing forum.

Anyway deffo not a coat of gloss without undercoat imo.

I have just done this and was advised to used 2 coats of butinox 3 over the existing gloss (as long as it is soun enough). Its not cheap but should last longer than gloss, covers brilliantly and is rainproof in an hour or two. I have been pleased with the resuls so far. As usual the main issue is that you are painting on to a sound base.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back