Wooden Fireplace surround filler 'popping'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

Have a frustrating tissue with a wooden fireplace surround i've built:

it's made of 28mm thick pine glued (white wood glue) biscuit jointed and screwed together with the trim pieces glued and pinned. Where i've filled the screw and nail holes with a 2 part epoxy filler the filler has expanded and 'popped' (blistered) with the heat from the wood stove.

It initially happened nearest the heat of the fire, but over the last few weeks pretty much every 'filling' has 'popped'.

looks like now i'm going to have to sand them back and repaint, but i'm worried it will just happen again.

Is there a better way of filling screw holes (plugs?) and harder, small nail holes??

thanks,

Virgil

Sponsored Links
All the metal expands with the heat so pushing out the filler, you could try just sanding back and painting as expansion should have finished .

That's a lovely bit of work, if it was me I'd get a nail punch n drive the pins in deeper then fill with glue/ fine sawdust mixture, (overfill cos it can shrink)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back