Wooden garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a wooden garage door which was replaced with plywood by previous owner which is rotting. Can you suggest a good wood replacement, not too heavy but strong that cannot be kicked in and will resist weather.
Tully.

Sponsored Links
Is galvanised/painted steel not an option for you? Less likely to expand/contract and galvanised will last forever if done properly

Hi Mikejt, I dont want to replace the door too much cost and the mechanism is old but sound. Replacing the four current panels which are a thin ply seems to be my best option, just wandering what wood or ply to use. Tully

If you're replacing with ply, use exterior grade ply and treat it before you fit it to ensure all edges are treated right to the edge. How big are the panels? 6mm seems thin to me. I'd be tempted to use at least 11mm

Sponsored Links
I suppose you could, although it is more expensive than exterior grade and I'm not sure if there are any advantages to using it for what you want. Perhaps someone else on here has a better idea?

Go for shuttering ply , cheap and resistant. I've had untreated pieces outside for years and while it has discoloured it hasn't delaminated or failed and I've had treated stuff on sheds for decades that is still as good as new.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back