Woodworking Tools.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some of my power tools are getting on a bit now and I'm thinking of replacing some as a treat to myself.
Looking through Screwfix catalogue/website and I see they do a range called Scheppach. Are they a new brand, a reliable brand or a newcomer to the market?
I'm used to names like Makita, Hilti, Metabo, DeWalt etc. As these new tools will probably see me through for the rest of my life, (60 tomorrow), I'm looking for something reliable rather than cheap and nasty. Does anyone have any 'personal' recommendations as to brand?

Tools in mind are;
Cordless drill/screwdriver
Orbital Sander
Bandsaw (capable of cutting upto 4" thick timber).
Table mounted circular saw.

Not buying all at once but maybe one every couple of months and others as and when I think of them.

Sponsored Links
Scheppach are OK. German but mostly made in china now afaik.
SF sell the Basa 4.0 which is a 380mm, 2HP, 115kg machine costing £1500 inc VAT.

But if you look at the European built Hammer N3800 which is a 380mm, 2 HP also.
Listed on their UK website at £1318 inc VAT. And weighs in at a whopping 150kg.
Then you realise something is amiss. Like a huge chunk of weight. Which you have to pay extra for!

A smaller machine will probably fulfill your needs though. Record Power make some good band saws also.

Last edited:
Thanks Roger. Though to be honest wasn't thinking of spending quite so much on each item, Lol.
Couple of hundred each on the major items, i.e. bandsaw, circular and possibly cordless drill. Bit less on the sander.

The Record Power BS250 should be within your budget then. And will cut 120mm deep.

Sponsored Links
The Record Power BS250 should be within your budget then. And will cut 120mm deep.

I have the BS350 and it's brilliant. Does take a lot of setting up and when you change the blades over, if you're fussy about accuracy you can spend a good half an hour getting it spot on but well worth the time and trouble as I'm sure any bandsaw is.

I would recommend you have a look for second hand bandsaws however. The BS350 goes new around the 650/700 mark. I got mine with a floor standing radial pillar drill, both like new for £500 off gumtree. The bandsaw had 5 blades with it, if you think £20 each and the pillar drill hadn't even been assembled. I think I got a decent bargain.

As for table saw, I've just sold a Bosch GTS 10 XC. Fantastic saw for the money. I got mine second when I had it for about £380 with some axminster blades. Alot of the smaller cheaper table saws are really inaccurate and IMO rickety.

I have an Erbauer Random Orbital sander which was on offer at the time. Can get the 125mm discs off ebay quite cheap for it. Works brilliantly and a solid build too. Came with a bag and a couple of spare sanding discs. If you're not looking to pay a lot for one (and I honestly don't think you need to), I'd recommend this to anyone.

Cordless drill? The world is your oyster. Personally I've had Makita for years and they just keep going and going.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back