Worcester 24CDi RSF occasional auto air valve leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Three times in the last three or four months I have had leakage from the auto air valve from our 24CDi (about 7-8 years old). It has always happened just after a prolonged DHW demand ( i.e running a bath) when there is no CH demand. The leak seems to be slightly damp hot air - I cant be sure but don’t think it is water vapour or steam. No liquid water leaks out. The leak lasts for maybe 60-90 seconds and only leads to small pressure drop (i.e. once it cools down pressure is just under 1 bar – normally 1 bar cold). When hot it is normally about 1.5 Bar – don’t knows if it goes above this just before the aav blows as I haven’t seen it happen (usually blowing for 30-40 seconds before I get there to see what is going on !). The system has always needed a small top-up each year – say from 0.9 bar to 1.0 bar. We are in a hard water area and it had been a bit noisy and was treated with Sentinel silencer about a year ago and has been fine since. No air in rads.

I suspected that it was overheating because the overrun function wasn’t working but have watched the boiler 5 or 6 times when filling a bath and fan and pump do exactly what they are supposed to after the end of a DHW demand (at least they do when I’m watching!!!) ..

Anybody got any ideas ?

Also it sometimes locks-out at start of a demand - following the diagnostic flowchart leads to changing the control board (£200 +). Are these problems likely to be related ? is repair of the board possible ?
:?:

Thanks

trevor

Sponsored Links
First check out the expansion vessel pressure - see the faq. (Boiler Pressure Problems)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back