Worcester Boiler keeps locking out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester boiler which keeps locking out, its doing it every two or three weeks. An engineer has just changed the thermistor sensor and overheat thermostat but believes if the boiler keeps doing it a powerflush may be required. I have heard mixed things about powerflushes in the past as to whether they really make much difference and it is obviously expensive to do this. I just wondered if anyone on here had any other theories as to why the boiler keeps locking out and the benefits of a powerflush.

Sponsored Links
what model Worcester is it? is it locking out on overheat? has it had a new pump recently?

its a 14/19 CBi sealed system, and overheating seems to be the problem. We have a temperature gauge attached to our back up water cylinder which we thought naturally enough related to that but it is in fact related to the boiler, this was on 65 degrees but has now been turned down, I wonder if that may have been the problem as well?

Still having problems. The thermistor sensor and overheat thermostat have both been changed and the device has I think locked out twice in two weeks.

I say I think it has locked out, prior to this repair it was locking out, and the locking out light was flashing which indicates flame failure. The two times since the lock out light has not flashed, in fact the boiler demand light is still steadily lit. I turn the temperature control to the off position then back on to where we keep it, at around 1 o clock position and the boiler fires up instantly. Anyone have any theories as to what might be causing this? As I said in an earlier post a powerflush was recommended, could that really solve it?

Reading the instructions it says that to light the appliance, turn control fully to maximum position then set it to the desired temperature, up until now when I have had to do this I have just turned it on to the 1 o clock position, could this be causing the fault? Should i turn it to maximum, then turn it down? Im clutching at straws now probably!

When the boilder works, the heating and hot water are fine and when it does this locking out there is never any problem with it re-igniting.

Sponsored Links
just bumping this up. Boiler did it again on saturday, as described in my Oct 15 post. Anyone have any theories as to why this keeps happening?

Many thanks

All of the indications are that you have an ignition lockout and not an overheating problem.

I assume that you have never had the boiler properly serviced by a competent boiler engineer?

I cannot understand why your engineer has been replacing sensors and that he seems to immagine that the boiler is overheating.

All the evidence is an ignition problem and a competent CORGI would be investigating this aspect unless there was any compelling reason not to.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back