Worcester Bosch 20/25 combi boiler Oil issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've made the cardinal error and ran out of oil last Monday. Only just managed to get someone in to fill it up yesterday due to the weather.

Still in lockout. Tried what I think is the bleed screw which is a bronze fitting with an allen key hole. Assume it follows the laws of normal screws(!) so turned it anti clockwise, looks like it's opened a tiny bit, but can't be sure and it won't turn anymore.

No oil coming through and not sure how long to leave it.

Below is a picture (click on it for full size), it's the brass fitting right at the bottom right of the image.

Please could someone help? My 11 month old child is freezing and we're also running out of coal because we've had to use the fire so much!!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
This looks like a BFP11 pump?
If it is, I think you've upset the pump pressure by fiddling with this bit.
What you need to do is to bleed the joints where the braided flexible pipe is, that carries the fuel to the burner.
Can you turn the adjustment that you did back again?
John :)

This looks like a BFP11 pump?
If it is, I think you've upset the pump pressure by fiddling with this bit.
What you need to do is to bleed the joints where the braided flexible pipe is, that carries the fuel to the burner.
Can you turn the adjustment that you did back again?

Hi John, thanks for your prompt reply. I'm not sure what make the pump is to be honest. I can adjust again no problem.
Where on the braided pipe is there a place to bleed? Any ideas?
I'm a complete novice here by the way (if you hadn't already guessed!)

No probs mate I've woken up now :p
This is an Electro Oil Inter burner B11.
You have adjusted the pump pressure.
You should be able to bleed the pump by slackening off the pressure gauge port, which is just above the oil pipe heading from the pump to the nozzle. Its central, just left of the reset button, just slightly below and to the right of the photocell.
Can you adjust the pressure to back to where it was? You'll really need the pump pressure adjusted by someone who has the gear though.
Sorry, you'll need to press the lockout to get the pump to spin before you can bleed.
J.

Sponsored Links
No probs mate I've woken up now :p
This is an Electro Oil Inter burner B11.
You have adjusted the pump pressure.
You should be able to bleed the pump by slackening off the pressure gauge port, which is just above the oil pipe heading from the pump to the nozzle. Its central, just left of the reset button, just slightly below and to the right of the photocell.
Can you adjust the pressure to back to where it was? You'll really need the pump pressure adjusted by someone who has the gear though.
Sorry, you'll need to press the lockout to get the pump to spin before you can bleed.
J.

Good tip about the lock out to make it bleed. I'm still at a loss though (again really sorry - you must get frustrated with amateurs!).
Here's another photo of the whole boiler. Where do I need to look?

Direct Link to full image
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/2527/dsc01628w.jpg

There is what looks like a red tap that is just above the pump where the silver braided pipe meets the copper pipe just to the right of the pressure gauge. Is that it?

Can you see the control box, with the red light on?
See the word Satronic?
The bleed port is just to the left from that, the nut looks a little chewed. Thats the one you open to bleed air when the pump is running. The oil pipe to the nozzle is the very thin one just below that - don't disturb!
I think the braided pipe that you mean is the pipe to the large red expansion vessel. Don't disturb!

Right John we're getting somewhere. Turned it (it was chewed!) whilst the pump was working, loads of bubbles and then the oil started coming through.
Went back to lockout though, tried again and it's still going to lockout.
How long should I let it bleed for?

Keep on with it mate - it won't behave until all of those bubbles have gone.
We would normally bleed from where the oil supply flexy pipe enters the pump - but I can't see what the connection is like on yours so it may not be possible.

Thanks John. Have probably done it about 6 times and still froth/bubbles coming out. The tank is probably about 6 metres away from the boiler. Reckon this is the norm?

Eventually the bubbles will go - there's a fair bit of air in that pipe!
Without cracking open the joints on the oil supply line I don't think there's much else you can do.
Please make sure all valves are open!

Eventually the bubbles will go - there's a fair bit of air in that pipe!
Without cracking open the joints on the oil supply line I don't think there's much else you can do.
Please make sure all valves are open!

Theres much more he can do,and thats get a qualified Engineer in. Armchairs do not beat hands on.

He's gonna struggle if he's turned the pump pressure right down:
Still in lockout. Tried what I think is the bleed screw which is a bronze fitting with an allen key hole. Assume it follows the laws of normal screws(!) so turned it anti clockwise, looks like it's opened a tiny bit, but can't be sure and it won't turn anymore.

Really needs someone in with an oil pressure gauge to reset this

That is very true :confused:
I was hoping that if he got the air out and then ignition, he could have some heat.
I never asked if his tank was above burner level or on the deck :confused:

Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to have to get an engineer in. I've done it about 10 times and no more bubbles. We pay a monthly to WBosch anyway, was just hoping to fix it myself rather than wait until they can get to us.

The tank is probably slightly above the burner (but mere cm in it) FYI.

Again thanks a lot

I know what you mean John, it's that balance between trying to help someone out of a fix in this weather and being aware of their limitations (in terms of test gear etc...)
Sounds like OP has bled the fuel line now but turned the pump pressure down too low.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back