worcester bosch boiler disconnected today by engineer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler had to be disconnected today by the engineer.

He said it is unsafe because not enough gas is getting through, as old pipe is 15mm joined to new pipe 22mm.

I had the boiler installed a few years ago by a corgi registered fitter.

The engineer today said I need to investigate pipe work and replace as needed.

Should the corgi registered fitter not have told me this when he installed it?

What do I do next?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
The original installer was in the wrong. It's a common problem unfortunately.

You need to contact a gas safe registered engineer and get them to come out and give you a price to fit the correct sized pipe.

Hello
Thank you for your reply.

Our boiler is in the loft, does that mean all the copper pipes in the walls downstairs to the gas meter have to be changed?

Do you think it would do me any good if I contacted the original installer?

Thank you

Best bet is to ask an installer for advice. I'd be looking for the easiest upgrade possible. I had one recently that took me half a day for a 25m run by using the right materials.

You could talk to the original installer but I doubt you'll get a lot of joy if he wasn't conscientious enough to the job correctly in the first place.

Sponsored Links
I hope he wasn't Corgi reg 2 yrs ago, or maybe he was & that's why it's done wrong, BTW was it BG that turned it off ?

Our boiler is in the loft, does that mean all the copper pipes in the walls downstairs to the gas meter have to be changed?

Thank you

How long ago was it installed?

As far as I know, 22mm gas pipe has been the standard for a few years now, so would be surprised if your boiler was recently installed.

Also the gas pipe is usually run on the outside wall from the meter rather than internally.

I have just had a new WB boiler installed and this is what I learn from my Gas Safe registered installer.

Thank you

How long ago was it installed?

As far as I know, 22mm gas pipe has been the standard for a few years now, so would be surprised if your boiler was recently installed.

Also the gas pipe is usually run on the outside wall from the meter rather than internally.

I have just had a new WB boiler installed and this is what I learn from my Gas Safe registered installer.

No mate he just told you that because it was easier for him to do it that
way. :)

House opposite me also has new gas pipe run externally with new boiler fitted few months ago.

I see same in other houses also.

Everyone because it is easier?

House opposite me also has new gas pipe run externally with new boiler fitted few months ago.

I see same in other houses also.

Everyone because it is easier?

You choose which you would prefer:

1) To Run Pipe internally. Move furniture, carpets/flooring drill holes in floors, lift floorboards across X number of rooms and landings......put your pipe in, test it and put everything back

2) To run pipe externally. Whack a few clips on the wall. Nice straight pipe run. Drill one hole in property near boiler location..time for a cuppa.

I once spent a whole day removing books from a room full of built in bookcases and storing them safely elsewhere, then dismantling the bookcase in order to install internal pipework. Then another day putting it all back. Somebody had to pay an extra two days labour compared with an external pipe run, so its not just easier and quicker, its cheaper for all concerned.

Alfredo

And two days later you did the same again as the pik ies had knicked it. :LOL:

Angel he did a bad job on the cheap.

You might be able to ask Gas Safe to come and inspect it. They would probably ask the installer to correct the pipe size but possibly on the basis that you paid for the upgrade.

So it may be better getting a nice friendly new engineer who likes to do things properly in the beginning!

My problem of course is that customers prefer to go to the guy with the gift of the gab and quotes a lower price!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back