Worcester Bosch Combi boiler hot water problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've taken some time to read through the forum and have an idea what the problem with the boiler is. But I'd like to just make sure, if you guys don't mind.

I have moved into a place with a Worcester Bosch 280 RSF combi boiler that has problems keep the hot water temperature the same.

I let the hot run for a minute or so and the pilot light goes out, meaning the waters get colder. After 20-30 seconds the light comes back on and the water gets much hotter, like its supposed to be.

I measured the flow of the water (i had a bucket, no idea on the amount the bucket holds) and it took 24 seconds to fill it with cold as opposed to 57 with hot water. I understand, again from reading this forum, the difference is far too marked.

All of this leads me to conclude that the heater is full of something stopping the water/heating.

Would this be the correct assumption and would you guys recommend getting a new one fitted or cleaning out the old one? I need to know what to ask for when I speak to an engineer.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Could possibly be the dhw he scaled up, but other things like thermistors and pressure settings of the gas valve would normally be done before stripping this out to clean or replacing it.

One of the WB experts on here, such as clf, will be able to give you more accurate info.

Things seem to have taken a turn for the worse. Pressure drops whenever I fill the boiler now to well below 1, nearer 1/2. This obviously means I have a total lack of hot water now.

Anyone able to shed some light on these two problems? Would they be linked?

A relative, meaning well, played around with the radiators then refilled the boiler till it reached about 3 on the pressure gauge. This is the only thing that has been changed in the 2 weeks I've been in the flat, would the increased pressure cause a leak somewhere? I'm hoping its not a leak or dead boiler, that'd cost me lots of money I don't have.

Also, early this morning when I woke up to go to work the pressure was very high, just past 4 on the gauge. After fiddling with the filling loop it seemingly began to lose pressure all the time.

Sponsored Links
After filling its essential to ensure the filling valve is turned off.

The release valve in the boiler should lower the pressure to about 2.5 bar at which point it should stabilise but the valve often continues leaking.

My advice would be to engage a competent engineer to diagnose ALL the faults on the boiler. Only then can you decide is its worth repairing.

I would be surprised if the total repair cost exceeded £220 at our prices. Get an indication of prices before you call anyone though. Ideally no-fix no-fee. Thats our motto which I see Brittish Gas have now copied!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back