Worcester green star boiler has timer but also connected to old thermostat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved into a property where i have a Worcester green star combi boiler which has a timer (clock not digital) and is connected to an old thermostat. I took off the thermostat as i didnt think it was connected and the central heating stopped working.

Is it just connected in a loop and i always have to have a thermostat?

What is the point being connected to a thermostat if it the timer cancels it out?

Can i change it to wired or wireless preferably as i can take the thermostat in the room?

if possible what do i do with the old connection??

any advice is much appreciated

Sponsored Links
The timer doesn't cancel the thermostat out, it's wired in series, that's why you have no heating now you've taken it away. A GSR engineer will be able to change it over to a more modern control if that's what you want

I took off the thermostat as i didnt think it was connected...
You didn't check first? Did you turn the power off? You could have been killed.:eek:

If you don't even have a clue how to operate a simple domestic heating system what on earth makes you think you are capable of making alterations to it? I hope you left the wiring in a safe condition, if the timeclock switches on the thermostat wires could become live.

Please leave it alone and call someone in.

i did cut the power :) but i wasnt sure it was connected to the boiler.

I now bought a SAlus RT500RF i installed it correctly i believe i checked lives neautral etc on the old diagram but showed a red light and the heating did turn on... Does anyone know why?

do i need to do anything else after its wired?

Sponsored Links
Should work out of the box, but don't expect too much. The red led is the power indicator, the green one should switch on when the thermostat is calling for heat. Check both the controller and receiver channel numbers match. If they do and it's not working follow the instructions to change to a different channel and try that. If the green light still isn't switching on and off as requested by the controller and the installed positions of both parts meets the requirements for locating them specified in the manual, the stat is faulty. The wireless signal is sent when the controller changes state, and re sends the signals every 10 minutes.

As a final check join live and switched live together, if the boiler starts when the power is switched back on, the new thermostat is faulty.

i did that and the boiler started to work.. so the thermostat is faulty? i was wondering if maybe it has to do with my wiring as if i undersoon correctly the old thermostat had the live and switched live connected?

thats what i have done see attached link pictures for Salus and how i connected it as well as the diagram for the old thermostat

https://goo.gl/photos/q65fYbUq4ReoYBhW9

so my understanding is when you told me to connect live and switched live is the same as the old one? so just wondering if its a system issue and not thermostat?

The wires are in the correct terminals but the cable is not installed in a way that complies with the wiring regulations. If the cable is poking out through the wall it should pass though the back of the mounting plate and into the terminals, not through the holes in the bottom and cord grip which are for connecting a flexible cable. There must be no inner insulation visible (the red yellow and blue) when the product is fitted to the mounting plate.

These Salus products are poorly designed and not easy to install in many systems, Don't watch their Youtube installation video as the wiring is shoddy and not compliant with the wiring regulations. They are also not reliable, yours appears to be faulty. As it worked when you connected live and switched live the boiler fired, and the unit lights up proving you have a neutral, the system is fine it is the thermostat. If you want reliable and easy to use/install programmable wireless thermostat, I would recommend Honeywell. The CM921 is good if you want the same times every day of the week, use the CM927 if you want different times each day of the week. The wireless base is designed for both surface and buried wiring.

I wouldn't give Salus the time of day.

Thanks a lot!! i was going crazy wondering why it wasnt working!! thanks also about the wiring tip

maybe ill have to look into honeywell then.. thanks again

i diddnt expect Salus to be that bad :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back