Worcester green star i boiler help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can anyone help I've just had a new green star i boiler installed the gas engineer who fitted it for me ( my ex) is now not speaking to me ( won't bore you with domestics ) so I've not been shown how to se the controls - I don't have the wall thermostat just the boiler in a cupboard. I can't work out how to turn off the central heating - it goes down to the number 30 on the control ( on the boiler itself) but will not go down any more - the manual is not helping me. I've turned off all radiators & just left on towel rail. But in London 25c I'd really like to turn it off completely - I'm terrified of a mega bill in a few months. Please help - thanks the manual tells me to keep pressing down arrow on boiler controls - the ones for he heater - I've tried everything & will not go below 30 - I'm sure it's something simple but just can't work it out - thanks

Sponsored Links
You're pressing the wrong button

Can you post a pic of the front of your boiler with the controls on show? Is there any kind of programmer elsewhere? You need to have a programmer and thermostat to comply with Building Regulations.

You're pressing the wrong button

Can you post a pic of the front of your boiler with the controls on show? Is there any kind of programmer elsewhere? You need to have a programmer and thermostat to comply with Building Regulations.
Ok will do tommorow no don't have separate thermostat or controller just what is on the boiler thanks

Sponsored Links
Ha ha umm to be fair he drove from N Wales picked up boiler on way & was here for over 10 hrs before finishing & 4.5 hr drive home - he saved me £4000 - boiler cost £760 he didn't charge me for installing it - the gas engineer I got in for quite told me I'd have to change all pipe work & boiler would have to go in living room! Seriously and the quote was for nearly £5000 - I found him on check a trader ... Will not be going there again !

Last edited:
image.jpeg

Sounds like he wired it up incorrectly, as there is an external demand for heat indicated on the display.

Sounds like a bit of a quick and dirty job to me; hope he's going to register it for you or you wont be able to sell the house.

Simond thanks but can you tell me exactly on the display is telling you that it is showing an external demand for heat? Thanks again.

The symbol on the display that looks a bit like a radiator means that there's a call for the radiators to heat up - if there was no demand, that symbol would disappear. If you really don't have any other controls, then there's no way of turning your heating off I'm afraid, it's going to be permanently on until you get someone to wire some proper controls in. Can you take a slightly more zoomed-out pic of the front of the boiler so we can see all of the bottom half of it?

The button you're pressing will never go below 30 - that controls the temperature of the water in the radiators, not the temperature of the room. It'd normally be set to around 65

Thanks muggers, after re reading the manual last night it clicked the 30 is not the temp of radiators output if they were on its the internal temp of the boiler( correct me if I'm still being thick) the radiator symbol only comes on as it is in the photo because I pressed the control arrows for the radiators to get the display to light up. I'll try & get another pic. And you are right a thermostat or maybe wave control system would make life much easier. I have noticed that when its been very warm like today the towel rail which I left on is not even warm so maybe it is working as it should. I seriously don't think it has been wired incorrectly as suggested by a post - y my ex has been plumber & Gas engineer for over 40 years is gas safe certified etc etc etc and was speaking to me when he fitted it ( ha ha ) Thanks for your help mch appreciated - I get annoyed at myself for not being able to work this stuff out!

Last edited:
He's left the permanent link in place, as there is no programmer or thermostat. Get someone in to fit a programmable room thermostat.

Is there not a frost protection setting where clicking it turns the heat off unless the temp goes under a certain value? Failing that, till it's fixed, what about pressing that down button your finger's on till it shows 0?

Doh! Sorry read the 30 degree comment! Disregard.

What is the model of the boiler?

To be honest you say you've saved 4K on the job. Time to pay someone to come and fit a programmable wireless stat.

Couple of hundred max depending which one you go for and it'll save gas and make you more comfortable.

Has the boiler been registered etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back