Worcester Greenstar 24i/28i junior

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to remove a radiator and fit a small one as a result of room alterations. Is it in order to close down all valves on the remaining rads to retain the water in them leaving only the valves open on the rad to be removed, and then open the drain-off tap to empty the rad and the flow & return pipes so that I can alter one pipe to fit the new small rad???

Also is it correct to turn the above boiler off, electrics off, and the water supply to the boiler off so that the water in the in the boiler does not keep a supply going to the central heating system as I drain down??

All advice will be most appreciated,

mojamster

Sponsored Links
Boiler needs to be manually filled so no need to turn any water off to it. Advisable to turn electrics off as you dont want it firing with no water in it.

Best to drain down the whole system if you need to alter pipework. Doesn't take long to re-fill

Hi rob884,

Thanks for the advice, I will drain down fully as you recommend.
I guess my thinking about leaving the radiators filled was to retain any additive that may be present in the existing water.
I suppose adding inhibiters later should not prove to be difficult.

Regards,

mojamster

If you are only removing one rad just turn that one off and remove the rad after draining it from the union.

If those valves dont leak then you can continue to use the boiler for DHW and CH if you wish.

When you are ready to modify the pipework then do as you suggested but first isolate the boiler flow and return and turn off each rad. That method will preserve any additive and even if there is none then it retain the deoxyginated water in the system.

Tony

Sponsored Links
but first isolate the boiler flow and return and turn off each rad. That method will preserve any additive and even if there is none then it retain the deoxyginated water in the system.

Good advise ;)

Hi to Agile (Tony), Wdik, and Tamz,

Many thanks for all the good advice and help.
I now have the radiator removed and will be fitting the new one tomorrow.
I hope that this next stage will go OK.
It's great to think that there are people out there who are willing to take the time to help others.

Best regards,

Jim (mojamster)

Hi
I'm doing similar work as Mojamster. Can someone explain in idiot-proof language how to repressurise this boiler using the filling loop?

TIA
Steveo

1) Connect the braided hose (if not already connected)
2) Turn the black lever, or levers if there are two, 1/4 turn in line with pipe. You will hear the water running through.
3) Watch pressure gauge rise to over 3bar.
You should now hear a soothing banging noise and if you quickly run to the outside of the building you should see water coming out a pipe. You have now confirmed your PR valve is working.
Never completed my modules for the rest. Will let you know when i have ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back