Worcester greenstar external boiler intermittent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Having issues with our oil boiler. Its a worcester greenstar camray 25/32 standard boiler (not combi).

It fires up but then after a little time stops. The fan continues to run and then it keeps trying to fire which it does, for short periods of time.

It was serviced less than 6 months ago but ever since that service its been a little flaky. Initially after the service we started getting issues with it not firing first time, until it struggled to fire at all. Our heating engineer returned (the same one who serviced it and originally fitted the boiler about three years ago) and seemed to think it was the photosensor. Once new photo sensor fitted it started firing up fine again. Unfortunately ever since then even with the new photo sensor it doesn't always fire first time.

And again, now its really struggling . As we still had the old photo sensor I swapped the old with the new to see if there was any noticeable difference as to whether it could be that again, but it seems to be the same with either one.

I actually took a video on my phone of the boiler running and firing for about 2 minutes. It's pretty dark as its a bit late, but the noise is the most interesting thing.

I'll try and find a way to post the video as a link.

I'm aware I'm probably just going to have to call the boiler man in again, but at £70 a time if there is anything I can try it would be good.

I have bled the boiler, checked oil supply etc and it all seems to be flowing fine.

Any advice appreciated!

Mike

Sponsored Links
A possibility is that combustion isn't clean and this is sooting up the sensor. I would get someone else in to have a look.

Could be oil supply problem. have you or your engineer checked the filter?
Also,, could be too lean a mixture which the photocell does not always see, or could be causing flame detachment. Has the nozzle been changed recently? There is a possibility that there may be a failing oil pump which is not giving a continuous pressure. A flue obstruction can also give this symptom.
A decent engineer should be able to find it, and failure to solve a persistent problem that is not intermittent should not entail full charges. Maybe you should consider another engineer.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help both. Got the engineer back and it turns out the fuel pump was not well. Pressure test showed it being inconsistent hence why it would fire and then drop out again. New pump and all seems good again. Fingers crossed no more issues for a while!

Thanks again,

Mike

Just proves that like football managers, heating engineers don't lose there skills overnight.
Well done for having the guy back to sort the problem and not sacking him like some billionaire sheik.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back