Worcester Heatslave 12 / 14 constant lockout, not firing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My heatslave keeps going to lockout :( can i ask whats the most likey cause? It makes all the usual noises apart from like a wind noise before firing up, and of course no ignition firing up too,
i can hear water running through the system, biler clicks when i turn tap on, oil in tank overhalf full gravity feed system.
Bentone B9-A Danfos BFP 41L (images below for info)

Thanks for any help and or ideas.

Cheers

Mark

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

Sponsored Links
Its a bit difficult to be sure of course, but assuming there is an ignition spark, the next thing is that solenoid coil perched on top of the oil pump.
Notorious for failure, especially when hot. Does the burner light up at all?
John :)

Thanks John for your reply :) Im quite mechanical with cars but this is a lot different :confused: im not sure if there is a ignition spark im afraid, is there an easy way to tell?
It ran all fine yesterday i run the hot water to get quite hot, then this morning when i tried to fire it up it went straight into lock out so maybe it overheated like you suggested.

Cheers

Mark

If the motor is not running through purge, and you are getting a faint hum before lockout, then it is either a faulty motor, a faulty capacitor, or a seized oil pump.
Remove the burner, remove the cover from the fan, try turning it by hand, if it turns easily, reconnect the burner to the control panel, REMOVE THE LEAD FROM THE SOLENOID COIL, Try to start the burner, if it does not turn, give the fan a flick with a screwdriver. If it runs, then replace the capacitor. If it doesn't, but still moves easily by hand, then suspect the motor. If it does not turn freely, then suspect a failed oil pump.

Sponsored Links
Ok Mark, these things aren't rocket science.....I'm assuming that the oil burner is locking out here (red light on the control box lit). If it is, it's a burner fault but if it isn't, the boiler could have overheated ( follow the red arrow on your top pic for a reset).
Anyway....the start up sequence. On command, the burner motor starts, which spins the fan and oil pump. You said you could hear this, so we assume the motor is actually turning.....most important! If there's only a humming sound, maybe the motor is still, indicating a start capacitor problem.
There is an ignition spark at this time. This goes on for say 5 sec - its purging the boiler and flue with fresh air.
Then, the oil is switched on electrically by that solenoid coil on top of the pump and the thing should light. If it does, a photocell sees a flame and keeps the oil supply flowing, and the ignition spark stops.
So...the spark is produced by the EB1 igniter, behind the Satronic control box....reasonably reliable but look for any sparks externally when the burner is trying to start. These things also can swell when they are breaking down.
It's not easy to check if the thing is sparking unfortunately......sometimes you can hear the electric buzz but it needs a trained ear!
If you have a multimeter, check for continuity and a resistance across the solenoid coil.

Thanks again for your reply John, and to oilhead too :) sounds a bit like rocket science to me! haha
the start up sequence was very useful.
Yep red light on on control box is lit ( i believe this boiler isnt fitted with that reset button where the arrow goes as the red plastic bit seems to be all floppy and not attached to anything)
As im untrained i guess its just a hum im hearing, i dont hear the air purging as i would usually when boiler was working normally.
so that said from what you said im looking at one of two possibilities? 1- Knackered motor or 2 - faulty capacitor?
I dont see any kind of lights from the EB1 igniter i just tried it in the dark.
Cheers again for both your inputs and explaining whats what no a complete numpty on combi's much appreciated (y)

I should of stuck to a log fire :LOL: thats definitely aint rocket science...

Ok Mark, on start up there should be a definite sound of the motor spinning.
On one end of the motor is a fan, and on the other end the drive to your BFP 41 oil pump.
If the sound is only a hum, then the motor isnt spinning.....this can be due to a stiff oil pump, the motor start capacitor or the motor itself.
The motor is easily tested with a mains supply, if you want to delve in that far.
The burner is held in with a couple of screws, very close to the boiler casing. The electrical connection is a multiplug and after that there's just the oil supply to the pump itself (flexible braided hose). There's a tap on the burner casing to isolate the oil supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back