Work Apparel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently having a major overhaul of my tools and equipment as I'm so tired of never being able to find what I want. I decided to buy a few big storage boxes to sort my stuff into. It suddenly dawned on me that I've never had any work gear besides toe caps and general P.P.E.

I want to buy myself some work trousers so I can bin these nasty looking trakkies. What's the best approach? I would assume a toolbelt along with comfortable work trousers with as many compartments as possible?

I do a lot of general DIY so my most used items are the hammer, chisels, tape measure, drill, screw drivers. At the moment I just leave things lying about.

Recommendations on brands and ease of use are welcome along with any suggestions on making work easier. I want something I will actually use. I work alone mainly so I don't get to steal many ideas from other people. Thanks chaps

Sponsored Links
Bit of a personal choice type of thing really. I've worked with some who don't seem able to function without first strapping on a tool belt whereas I feel more comfortable when I'm unencumbered . I just use regular jeans or lighter trousers in warm weather and carry on me a SAK , lighter , and purse with sometimes a tape and a small pair of pliers all of which fit into the pockets. Anything else goes in a box or bucket. I do have a nail pouch which is used occasional although that has been to more car boot sales than building sites.
Sorry I can't be of more definitive help other than to say try a tool belt first to see how you get on with it , stick it on eBay if you don't , and a pair of work trousers with pockets , you don't have to fill every one and you should soon find a level you are happy with carrying around all the time.

Sponsored Links
Yep, agree with Terrypin, Snickers.

These are supplied as standard by work to those of us in the maintenance dept. Comfortable and adequate for a range of tools including your personal bits & bobs like mobile phone, keys etc. Also have built in pockets for knee pads.

A cheaper version are 'Click' but I don't have a link to them, sorry.

Click, that's a name I was trying to remember, a cheaper alternative to Snickers.
Not as good but a good DIY, semi professional option for the more occasional use.

Thanks very much chaps exactly the sort of info I'm after.

Having researched it seems the trousers and belts increase in price the more features there are (just like everything) - one thing is will the trousers be obstructed by the belt? Looking at pictures of various brand designs it looks as though it may be hard using the upper pockets with a belt in the way - perhaps not.

I can think of advantages of a belt over trousers such as being able to see what's on you. Having to put hands in pockets for a blind search is a little less preferable, although I'm assuming it all becomes second nature after a while so long as you nominate each tool a home and don't flip them about. I think I'll treat myself to some trousers first see how I get on

I don't like the 'elephant ears' pockets for that exact reason - going blind. And you can take your toolbelt off if you need to get into a tight space or lie down - otherwise you need to empty your pockets.

The key with toolbelts is to try to carry as little as possible in them, the essentials, with each space only holding one tool, or two very dissimilar tools ie tape measure and screwdriver. Don't put 3 types on screwdriver in on pocket - If you have to rummage for more than a second, you might as well be using a bag.

Over the years with my last job I had various trousers but Snickers were my fave.

I never really got on with tool belts or pouches, unless I was going up an extension ladder.

I have always worn regular jeans with my huge bunch of keys in the back pocket, which pull them down nicely, revealing my bum crack. sometimes, when carrying a load of tools to the van, I wonder if I will make it in time before they fall down completely.

:LOL: :LOL:

Give up work, enjoy life, before yer knees and back f'k you good and proper like yer brain already has.

:D

my work gave me a pair of snickers,bloody brilliant.then went over to some other things think there called 'click'?
various pairs within a year,snickers are still going.
i too wont have the nellie ears as i use a few machines i personally think there a tad iffy in case they get caught up in a blade.

Sponsored Links
Back