work equipment and ppe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

just looking for some help
i have been working for a small painting and decorating firm for the past 4years now,
when i lwas in college we we're told that if you were self employed you had to provide all your own equipment (brushes, rollers, blades etc) and PPE (overalls, safety boots etc)
but if you were employed it was the responsability of your employer to provide these for you.

Now we've had a bit of a fall as we (the rest of the work force and me about 10 of us altogether) did'nt want to buy brushes of him this week.
Im convinced that he should pay for eveything we need anyway
could anyone tell me for definite who has to pay ourselves or our employer
any help would be great thanks

Sponsored Links
Legaly im not sure, but in my personal oppinion if i had to buy my own tools to carry out/ keep my job i would, as id rather have a job to go to than have nothing atal. Also i have found that if you buy your own equipment you tend to look after it more. This is only my oppinion but i know i would rather spend a little to keep my job long term.

it is responsability of your employer to provide any safety equipment that is required for you to carry out your work safely.

But tools and the like should be depending on whatever was agreed when you signed your contract of employment.

The company you work for has a legal and moral obligation to ensure your health and safety in the work place.

This responsibility falls to the owner of the company and any managers. It is legal requirement that your company assess the risks within your workplace and this should be documented in your case. Control measures should be put in place and if PPE is a control measure then your company has a duty to provide this.

As for supplying paint brushes, this should be documented in the terms and conditions of employment. You have a right to see these.

Sponsored Links
As said all safety equipment has to be provided free by the employer, and that means if the boots or helmet or hi-vis fall apart after a week he has to legally provide a replacement. If you are not direct but are subbying then you can be charged.
The supply of brushes and whathave you I think will vary from company to company.
We only have one decorator left with us now but I'll tell you how it works for him. Most of his "decent" brushes he has brought himself and some of his other tools as well. The company does supply other gear free of charge as and when he needs it and this will include cheaper "throwaway" brushes as well as better quality ones as and when the job dictates.
You mention buying brushes of your employer "this week". Does this buying of brushes occur every week? This sounds a little odd to be buying new brushes every week when even a cheapo brush will last longer than that, sounds a very dubious victorian workplace practice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back