Work proceeded without quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got an unusual one here. We were getting some builtin cupboards for the bedroom. All well and good, and then the carpenter suddenly said ' Do you want them primed'. We'd assumed they would be, so were surprised to find it would cost more (about 25% more).

We sent an email saying we were surprised, asking for another quote, and a 'is this the best price' email on Tuesday evening. On Wednesday morning he sent an email saying 'yes, final price' etc. By Wednesday evening (without any further correspondence) he sent an email saying he'd done them and could he come around.

Now I don't think we'd agreed he could go ahead. We were still discussing final prices etc. Yet he's now getting annoyed.

Where do we stand? I don't mind paying more, but 25% is a lot, and we hadn't actually given the go ahead.

What should we do?

ta

Sponsored Links
If you've not approved the work then he shouldn't have done it.
If you're happy with it, you could try and negotiate a fair price for the extra.

That's what I thought; just wanted clarification I'm not the only one! As I say, I don't mind paying a small extra (he'd said the painting would be a 'small premium'), but 25%? It's a ridiculous amount

Yeah, i'd just remind him that you didn't authorise the work, are not happy with paying an extra 25% on top and try and look for some middle ground.
He can hardly take the paint back off.

Sponsored Links
say to him you dont like the colour so you DONT WANT THEM AT ALL. ;)

then say well ok ill take them off your hands at a price. ;) ;)

Surely it depends what that 25% represents?, agreed if the work was £200 25% is a lot for a bit of priming but had it been £100, £25 is more than fair.

Very rare for a chippie to prime his work these days, i've only come across one and he was first class but also £150 a day.

Surely it depends what that 25% represents?, agreed if the work was £200 25% is a lot for a bit of priming but had it been £100, £25 is more than fair.

Very rare for a chippie to prime his work these days, i've only come across one and he was first class but also £150 a day.

You saythatbas if it is a lot. What IS the rate for a chippie, and when does a chippie become a cabinet maker?

okay - the figures are: £640 for the cupboard, and £140 for the priming. The priming is apparently sprayed on, sanded down, sprayed again and then sanded again.

Seems a lot to me, but it's quite a big cupboard, and obviously we can't paint some it when it's in place!

What would you consider a reasonable amount for that amount of work plus the materials he used?

Haven't a clue; not my line of work. Like asking him how much an architect would charge to alter a drawing. The materials are virtually inconsequential; the labour and training isn't.

And he didn't explain what he was doing before he did it. Mostly I guess as he didn't tell us he was doing it.

Haven't a clue; not my line of work.
Then how can you say this: :confused:
), but 25%? It's a ridiculous amount

However, since you only asked for a quote and not given him instructions to proceed, then more fool him for going ahead. As for the assumption that the original price would have included the priming, it's unfortunate and he should have asked and explained what you were getting within the cost before starting.

I think I'd be inclined to meet him halfway at £75, and put it down to a learning experience all round
:)

i can say it's a large amount as it's 25%. And no matter what it is, throwing 25% onto anything at the last moment stinks of bad practice, and a certain amount of underhandness; he knows we'll pay as we've no real choice.

But thank you for your time.

i can say it's a large amount as it's 25%.
As you have no idea what the going rate is, nor the amount of time and effort it took him, then you can't make such a sweeping statement. For example, if it took him 6 hours to make it and an additional 2 hours to prime it, then does 25% really sound that unreasonable?

And no matter what it is, throwing 25% onto anything at the last moment stinks of bad practice, and a certain amount of underhandness;
Not really. The initial quote/agreeement did not specify that it was to be primed by either of you. As for bad practice, one could argue that a customer changing the specs as an afterthought. and expecting it to be done for peanuts or for free isn't exactly great practice either. So why not accept that it's an oversight maybe by both parties but nothing underhand.

he knows we'll pay as we've no real choice.
No he doesn't and yes you have - hence why you're on here. From what you have said, you haven;t agreed to anything verbally nor in writing, so there's no contract in place.

But thank you for your time.
Pleasure. And my time for you is all inclusive, with no additional fees ;)

Fireman T :

Wrong idea mate, i don't consider £150 a day expensive for a good carpenter

Sponsored Links
Back