Work watching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I start I want to stress that this is in no way racist and is purely a genuine question out of curiosity.

Right here goes, there has been quite a lot of building works to houses around where I live and it is mainly to houses occupied by Asians.
The works are mainly external, brickwork, roofing, rendering etc.

My point is that while the brickies, plasterers, etc are hard at it, the customers are just stood there with their arms folded watching the workmen.
This is not just for a few minutes but seems to be every day for hours on end. Sometimes it is the husband and wife, and then sometimes they do it in shifts. Just standing there not talking to the lads.
I have noticed this before but not this extent, is it that they do not trust the builders or are they trying to learn something?
I know quite a few of the Asians but am reluctant to ask them so maybe there is somebody on here who can enlighten me.
Alternatively has anybody experienced this and if so how do you deal with it?

Sponsored Links
Why not just ask? why be reluctant to?

Probably tell me to mind my effing business and spoil a good friendship.
Surely there must be some Asian on this forum who knows the answer, or the reason why.

Sponsored Links
The best thing you can do is have a word with some of the tradesmen if you can get the chance.

Ask them if they mind the customer constantly stood beside them and find out their views.

My guess is that they don't trust the workmen. The trouble is that this constant observation may backfire on them, as I'm sure most workmen don't like the idea of being closely scrutinised in this way and might even feel like doing a substandard job out of annoyance. Unless the customers are experts in the field, they probably wouldn't know.

Same if you go in ,say, a clothes shop run by them. They'll watch you like a hawk, then ask if you want to look at something your so obviously not interested in. Say your looking at a pair of jeans,, they'll ask if your interested in this lovely jacket/shirt/ trousers/ etc.

I won't work for them so not a problem.

I would rather starve than work for them. Have heard about situations described in the OP, but don't know why they do it. They aren't worth the aggro, because they often haggle AFTER the job is complete and price agreed.

they often haggle AFTER the job is complete and price agreed.

Have worked for many and you are so right about haggling, but I have an answer to that, load the quote by 30% and let them haggle for 15-20% discount. This way you come out about 4% up on profit :)

Never had a problem getting paid, though.

This subject has come up before but I am still not sure if they are just genuinely interested or suspicious.

Personally, I can't stand being watched like a hawk when working.

Right here goes, there has been quite a lot of building works to houses around where I live and it is mainly to houses occupied by Asians.
The works are mainly external, brickwork, roofing, rendering etc.

That wouldn't be in Blackburn by any chance, would it?

I like watch tradesmen, as they make it look so easy, saying that the people I use I know a few of them, so I am chatting making tea etc, but am always consciences that I may well be slowing them down, but I am always happy clearing up with or after them.

I target the asian community for the free boilers as they are very receptive to freebies but I do find that a lot of them are prone to looking the gift horse in the mouth.!

They seem very suspicious and ask lots of questions and I do feel that they are qualifying me to have a free boiler! :rolleyes:

A lot of them want to keep the old boiler or want to choose which free boiler they have. Worcester Bosch seems to be their favourite. :LOL:

I don't mind being watched, I quite like an audience.

Being scrutinized is different.

All the Asians (all have been Indians) I have worked for have been generous and have paid on time. There would not be a day we were not offered food on one particular job.

They do always ask though "is this your best price?" The answer is always yes.

I don't mind being watched, I quite like an audience.

Being scrutinized is different.

All the Asians (all have been Indians) I have worked for have been generous and have paid on time. There would not be a day we were not offered food on one particular job.

They do always ask though "is this your best price?" The answer is always yes.

And all the food lovely? No meat?

One of our customers made fresh chapati and naan bread every day, real Indian food, wonderful.

Sponsored Links
Back