working out power consumption

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,

i've been wondering (haven't done anything other than that) ;) about how much electricity i use and whether i could calculate things like, how much electicity i use in 4 hours, watching dvd's or 6 hours of sky and working on my laptop and then how much that costs me.

so, is it a case of checking each device for the amount of watts it uses, adding these up, multiplying the total by the number of hours they are on to give me the total number of watts used and then working out how much its costs based on how much a kilowatt per hour costs me?

if the devices don't specify how many watts they use what options are there in finding out?

thanks

Sponsored Links
toxictoad said:
if the devices don't specify how many watts they use what options are there in finding out?

Power = voltage x current.

A TV drawing 2A at 240V uses: 2A x 240V = 480W
If this TV is on for 4 hours: 0.48kW x 4 = 1.9kWh
If 1kWh costs 9p: 1.9kWh x 9 = 17.1p

If it doesn't tell you the current used then you can either:

buy a multimeter and measure it yourself
buy a power monitor (something like this.)
or if you are really desperate to know, then switch off every other appliance in your house. Get a stop watch and keep a close watch on the meter (might be a bit boring if its a very low power appliance. :p)

Davy

nice one Davy that explains it really well. much appreciated. can't see me sitting at the meter though ;)

Sponsored Links
----edited-(i didnt see the link in the above post!)---------

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back