Working safely on slate roof valley replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm thinking of replacing the lead in a long valley on my slate roof. I would like to know how to do this as safely as I can (without asking someone else to do it!); I'm not used to walking on a slate roof and expect a roof ladder is needed; but because of the angle of the valley, I can't see how to hook it over the ridge while still being close enough to the top of the valley to start removing the slates.
I have plastic guttering so can't really anchor anything to that.
I can sort scaffolding out to get to the gutter level, but I know this can be done without needing scaffold on the roof itself.
Can I walk up the valley itself? Do I use a couple of roof ladders?
The house is fairly large late victorian semi so quite high. Timbers look ok from the loft.
Appreciate your thoughts!

Sponsored Links
Should you really be attempting this?

You are obviously lacking the experience of working on roofs and this could be a recipe for disaster.

Scaffold to the gutter would be ok for most roofers.

Any idea how a roofer then walks on the roof? I'm asking so I can learn, if I wasn't aware of my limitations I wouldn't be bothering to ask.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back