Working with MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all! First post, looking for some advice.

Im a basic DIYer trying to extend my CV and currently remodelling the dining room and building a cupboard. Looking to use MDF (sheet material easier as I don't have the tools to glue other wood together for panels.

I am wondering if anyone had any tips on making a cabinet and draws out of MDF. How to treat / paint, etc.

Thanks

Shane

Sponsored Links
Simply put, you won't enjoy it. I can't stand the stuff. There's very few projects I've made out of MDF and those were simply because of the budget.

Once you've made whatever it is you're making you should make sure the MDF is sealed to stop moisture ingress. If it gets wet or damp it swells and eventually breaks up, not to mention stains and looks horrid.

You can get 'MDF sealer' but in the past I've got a trade tin of no nonsense white primer from screwfix. Few coats and sand any filler down and I've used decent acrylic paint to finish. Could just as easily use gloss and gloss primer.

I'd also use pin nails/finishing nail gun and a good quality glue like green evostick or titebond 2. It can be screwed together with pilot holes but there's a very strong chance it will split and break.

Always use dust extraction and a PPP3 respirator when cutting and sanding this stuff. It's horrid and you really don't want to get that crap on your lungs.

In the long run you would benefit from spending money on a good biscuit jointer or if you can afford it a domino jointer and a set of bessey clamps for panel work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back