Workshop roof felting and skylight installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, tomorrow walls coming up, roof structure should be up in couple of days.
Now i have to figure out how to waterproof osb decked flat roof AND install an aluminium framed (fixed) window and waterproof it as well.

Any good tutorials on this ? Doing it myself, havent done anything like this before.

Also, any tips on materials would be great. Materials that i can get easily in northern ireland (dungannon/coalisland preferably). Felt adhesive, felt itself etc. Whats out there that is of decent quality ? Dont want to go cheapest way just to get it to rot in couple of years....

Sponsored Links
The skylight actually is half of double sliding door, aluminium frame with double glazing and anti-break film. All fittings like slides/rollers have been taken off to leave just the frame and glass. The door is 1m x 2m x 60mm.

Roof is falling about 300mm over 5.4m length. Roof is 5x6m, simple construction - 45mm x 200mm x 5400mm boards standing on edge acting as joists/beams. whole roof is spread over 7 beams, noggins locations to be decided during decking stage.

double glazing has weep holes facing the outside for the water that gets past the seals in this situation they will be at the bottom off the frame
in a near flat position water will pool on the glass and may find a path into the frame then because the weep holes will be blocked with whatever crud you try and seal the frame with will fill the frame or find a path through to the shed and leak

in my humble opinion you will be for ever fixing leaks from both the frame and window seals
the correct windows have no bottom edge so the water runs off when nearly flat
the also have a lip that fits over a raised section fixed into the roof so the water is guided away not relying on a 100% seal

you also have the snow loading this will be far more than the designed wind load

Sponsored Links
You need to create an upstand of at least 6" and then you can stick your glass to that with a strong water proof mastic, then I would go to a pvc. suppliers and buy the appropriate profile and stick that to the edge of the glass to create a flashing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back