Worktop is 635mm but Jig doesn't have this slot... What to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ikea Worktop which has a depth of 635mm

However the jig that I have only has slots for worktops with a depth of 600, 615, 650 or 700mm

In this situation, what do you do?

Sponsored Links
I am a novice so could you please explain how you 'tack on a strip' to the worktop?

Sponsored Links
What sort of worktop is it. Wood or laminate, square edge or post formed.

Check this link out, and it should explain things quite well. As you can see from the picture showing Left hand female joint (and as Foxhole mentioned) you just need a 15mm block at the back with the pin set to 650, to get you to 635.

http://www.raygirling.com/wtjig.htm

@Doggit thanks for the link.. however guys I have another issue... Sorry to be a pain!

It turns out the old worktop has a depth of approximately 585-590mm.. so if i use the new piece i.e. 635mm i believe that it will leave too large an overhang

So I plan to use the plunge saw to get it down to 590mm..

Using Foxhole's logic, shall I just tack on a strip of 10mm timber and use the 600mm marking?

I'd say that 590 is on the short side, especially as most worktops are 600, and that's what I'd suggest you aim for; how much overhang do you currently have. Have you got a sink going in this piece that would benefit from a longer overhang; do you have any washing machines etc, that would also benefit.

@Doggit You are right, when you say that I should aim for 600..

Currently. the overhang is 16mm (from the base unit)

However having done some googling this appears to be very short as the typical overhang is approx 30-50mm

Therefore the 600mm worktop, would leave me with with an overhang within the normal range

So I plan to cut the 635mm to 600.. Then use the jig at that setting

Thanks for your help.. you've been brilliant!

Either cut to 600mm or move the cup'd to use the full 635 depth.
What's a cup'd?

and is there a place that has a glossary of all kitchen fitting related terms?

What sort of plunge saw do you have veedee, one on track by any chance, or are you referring to a circular saw. With a good quality track type plunge saw, you can cut from the top of the worktop, but with a circular saw, you cut from the underside.

Foxhole I knew that I shouldn't have asked lol.. Total cringe

Conversely, Doggit I am glad that you asked that question.... I have the Makita SP6000J.. It is a fantastic piece of kit!

It cut through the worktops, like a hot knife through butter :D

Comes with a 2x 1.4m track.. Well worth every penny..

Apologies if I come across like some sort of sales guy.. but I am truly amazed at the job this plunge saw is able to do

Makita SP6000J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back